For some odd reason, I remember a summer long, long ago that my grandmother, Mom Peg, insisted on us learning Psalm 23. Yes, we call her Mom Peg. Blame it on oldest cousin Kevin. He had grandparent naming rights as the first to be around. Her name isn't even Peg. It's Sylvia. I digress.
So, Psalm 23. I learned all six verses of it, although as a child, I swear the Bible I was using had at least 47 more verses in chapter 23. Any chance it's been shortened since I learned it? Or I was just a way dramatic child who was being taught to hide scripture in my heart by those much wiser than me? Probably that.
Charlie has had to learn Psalm 23 for school and for AWANA's on Wednesday nights and has knocked it out of the park! Seriously people, the kid can memorize anything! And remembers everything that is said. Which means, don't say anything in front of him if you don't fully intend to follow through with it. (He still thinks we are going to Disney World the second Sam turns 5 because one day a really long time ago, I told him we could go when Sam got older. And in his head, 5 is older.) And it also means I don't believe him even for a split second when he tells me he forgot to do something I just told him to do. You didn't forget, you're just doing what you want to do instead of obeying. Don't get me started...
Back to Psalms...because the Summer I learned this passage is forever in my memories, as well as the actual verses (yes, I still remember it), I wanted to show Mom Peg the tradition that is being passed along.
You can follow along, too. Just to make sure he does it right...
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. 3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever. Psalm 23:1-6 (NKJV)
GO CHARLIE!!
4 comments:
What beautiful words to hear. I love when he says "yes mam".
Alissa
GO CHARLIE !! is right.
Very impressive. I too loved his "Yes ma'am."
Julio
VERY PROUD of my oldest grandson!!
I love you Charlie! Gammy
It brought tears to my eyes last night when he said it to me at church. Of course I held it in because Charlie would have thought I was nuts! To think that if God had not placed Charlie with you and Kenny, he would more than likely not have even heard of Psalms 23, much less memorize it!!!!God has blessed beyond measure!!!
Post a Comment