Wednesday, February 09, 2011

"Yes, he looks JUST like his father."

I know our family looks different. But I honestly don't think about it much until we are out somewhere and I notice the stares. I always immediately assume my fly is open or I have toilet paper flying from the seat of my pants. It usually takes me a second to realize what they think the real problem is...

And I love some of the conversations I have.  Today I took my fully African son with me into the local Dollar General to pick up a few things. While checking out, the lady asked Sam, [Insert Spencer County accent. That's just straight up hillbilly for those of you that don't know.] "Why aren't you in school today, buddy?"

Since Sam's attention was on the bright flashing Valentine's display and he was paying no attention to her (more evidence that he is indeed 3, despite his height), I responded that he was only 3 and wasn't in school yet.

She exclaimed over how tall he was and how he looked like he was older. Then she turned to me and said, "You are kinda short. His dad must be really tall! How tall is your husband??"

Long pause.

"He's actually only about 6'2". And extremely white."

Okay, so I didn't say that. I really wish I had said I had never met his father, but really would have loved to have the opportunity to. And just sat and watch her try to figure that one out.

I did say that his father was quite a bit taller than me. And gave a quick explanation that he was adopted from Ethiopia and also has a really tall brother.

"Oh. Well, that's really nice."

Thanks. I think so, too. He does get his good looks from his dad though...

1 comment:

The Rogers Family said...

I went into Blimpie one day with my black son and my latino son and a man said, "Hmm, so I guess they are adopted." It took all the self control I had not to reply, "No, I just like a variety of men."