But as annoying as that can sometimes be, I'm also realizing that in addition to our Dr. Seuss tendencies, we also have a little historian on our hands.
This came the other day in the car on the way home from school..."Canada is north. They are our neighbors. Mexico is also our neighbor. And Europe is bad. Very bad. All the people leave and come here. So we fight them. They are so bad. I don't want to ever go to Europe, Mommy."
And despite all this, I discovered the other day that Charlie is quite the ladies man. Except he doesn't know it. Typical of a 7-year-old boy. Or any man.
This all came out at a birthday party where Charlie was one of just two boys. Surrounded by all the girls from his class. And I'm pretty sure the other boy was just a cousin of the birthday girl. They were so excited when Charlie arrived. It seems that his attendance at the party had been the topic of conversation before our arrival. The girls were all certain Charlie would be there.
Apparently all the girls think Charlie is soooo funny. One reported that she loves to look into his beautiful brown eyes. Gag me with a spoon. Another told her mom she's gonna start laughing like Charlie because his laugh sounds so much better than hers. I tried to find out why they all like him so much. Turns out, he's the only boy that will play with the girls. So, naturally they all think he is just 'o so dreamy. Again, just a side effect of having girls for your best friends.
I hope the girls won't be disappointed when they find out that Mr. Love Boat doesn't have a clue about Valentine's Day. As you can imagine, that wasn't really high on the list of things to celebrate in Ethiopia. It probably came right after setting aside a day to observe the habits of a groundhog. I've tried to explain it several times. He was not impressed. With either holiday.
Until he found out that he might get candy. That he can get on board with.
They better just back off. Because his Momma has dibs on him until he's at least 35. No one will be taking those "beautiful brown eyes" anytime soon!
Charlie's also recently become quite the basketball player. Well, let's just say he's learning. Gradually. He did score 10 points at last weeks game. But it seems that sometimes he just forgets what is going on. The only good thing he has going for him...he doesn't really have to jump to get the rebound. Since he's at least a head taller than most of the kids, he just puts his hands up and usually comes down with the ball. I think that's why his coach thought he was gonna be good. Sorry, Coach. Along with the tall comes terribly uncoordinated and a touch of I-have-no-idea-what's-going-on. He'll get it down pat soon enough.
Until then, we'll hold the recruiters (and the girls) at bay.
No comments:
Post a Comment