Saturday, February 19, 2011

Yum.

We have had a fairly laid back weekend. Hence the two posts in two days. How do you like that, Julio?  We wrapped up Charlie's basketball season and finally got the basement cleaned out today. That will make me sleep better just knowing that the space below me is clean, organized and free of dead bugs.  At least for now.

I'm always looking for and trying new recipes to combat the ho-hum routine of Taco Tuesdays and Spaghetti Saturdays. Some turn out great. Some we strike from our "Let's try that again!" list. Tonight we had one of those dishes that will stay on the list.

Qualifications for most recipes that I try are as follows: No ingredients that I can't get for a reasonable price at my local Kroger. If I have all the ingredients on hand, it's immediately got an upper hand on something that calls for say, salt-preserved anchovies. It also can't take me half a day to prepare said dish. I'm all about food, but my time is far too valuable to begin cooking dinner right after lunch. After all, laundry and 1st grade homework beckon.  Also anything I can make ahead of time is a winner in my book.  Feeds into my inner planner.

I found this recipe on my faithful bag of Martha White Buttermilk Corn Meal Mix and since I had all listed ingredients, I knew we had to try it.


A few side notes.  I actually used frozen corn, just because I had half a bag leftover in the freezer. And mozzarella cheese. But that was because my thoughtful husband used the cheddar cheese making me a quesadilla at lunch. Don't think it really affected the taste all that much.  I also made it earlier this afternoon and stuck it in the fridge.  Which meant, come dinner time, all I had to do was pop it in the oven.  The messy kitchen clean-up was already taken care of.  Spectacular.

I spiced it up with some crushed red pepper. Like I do almost everything. And actually made some rice and served the casserole on top. I also eat rice with almost everything, so that was just a given.

We all loved it and had seconds.  Well, except Sam, who was having one of his 3-year-old "I'm not eating and you can't make me" moments.  Yet he still felt it necessary to ask repeatedly for a cookie.  Let's just put it this way.  He still hasn't eaten and is pouting on the couch at this very moment.  And before you call CPS, his plate awaits him whenever he decides he is ready.

I digress.

So feel free to try this.  And share your own tried and true EASY recipes.  I'll be at the ready with my apron and mixing bowl.......

2 comments:

Julio said...

Wooo Hoooo, Two posts in two days!! I almost didn't check on you today 'cause you posted yesterday's baseball in helmets story.
Thanks for posting though, I always enjoy reading about your adventures with your 3 boys.
Keep 'em coming :)
Julio

Anonymous said...

this casserole was very good. mom decided to give it a try on us since you liked it so much. i actually took leftovers to work the next day and everybody kept asking me what it was and saying it smelt amazing but i did not know what it was so i just said some casserole my mom made. anyways...very good .

love you,
your little sister