Those of you that know us well, know that I have a 2-year-old that has been resistant to naps since coming home. He took a nap everyday from 1:00 to 3:00 at the orphanage, but for some reason, we weren't able to make that transition when we came home. He yelled, he screamed...for hours at a time when I would try to get him to nap. The results were either a very cranky boy or one who wanted to be held constantly by the time 4:00 rolled around. Occasionally we would get a nap in, but only on his terms when he accidentally fell asleep on the couch when he was just too exhausted to continue.
About two weeks ago, I decided that I am bigger and I am in charge and we were going to take a nap. No matter what.
The results: Sam now lays down in the afternoon after lunch. He knows he has to lay down and stay in his bed until Mommy comes to get him. Sometimes he falls asleep for a couple of hours, other times we just rest for an hour or so. But...he is MUCH happier in the early evening hours now and Mommy gets a couple of hours in the afternoon to get some housework done! Or read a book. Or just do nothing. :) And if we happen to not be home or just can't get in a "rest" due to our schedule that day, it's not detrimental because he had a nap the day before. Works well for all involved!
Looking back, I'm sure our "no nap" days were the product of many things...lack of trust, strange place, being scared, being separated from Charlie and from me (although, I tried laying down with him a few days), testing boundaries, etc. And now that he is more established here and knows that I'm staying, he's staying, Charlie's staying...even if he goes to sleep, he lays down with absolutely NO fight.
I won. The end.
4 comments:
Way to stay strong Momma! Hope to see you guys tomorrow night at the Arise fellowship.
...oops. sorry! i meant sam!!
way to go mom!! one day charlie will be all grown up, and have to stay awake and work all day...he will wish nap time was still an option! ha
Yay! You won one of the most important battles we mom's face. Going to sleep at night and taking naps during the day. Way to go for sticking to your guns. I know how hard it is, but it does pay off in the end. Speaking of naps, my little monster needs one right about now...
Post a Comment