At 7:40 pm, after an afternoon of swapping phone calls and emails, we FINALLY got the email we had waited 6 months and 12 days for (not that I was keeping count).
Our paperwork approved us for 1 or 2 related or unrelated children under the age of 24 months. But we told our agency that we were open to siblings as well. What did we really know about what God had planned for us?
Our referral was for brothers...thought to be 1 and 4 years old. We spent the evening of December 1st in tears, in prayer, in great conversation. We went to the Jolly's house and showed off grainy, black and white photos of the boys we would soon become obsessed with...

I think this is the first time I've shared these pics on the blog...Charlie saw them today and told me that wasn't him, but that was Sam. I kinda agree with him...looks nothing like him!
We talked and talked, but I think we both knew from the minute that we saw the boys that they were the children God had chosen for us. Two children was totally unexpected. A 4-year-old was totally unexpected. Could we jump into parenting an older child? What would we do about school? Were we really ready for a 1 and 4 year old, when in our minds we had been preparing for a baby?
The next day, we called and formally accepted the referral. We had NO clue what we were getting ourselves into, but were told we should be able to pick up the boys late February, early March at the latest. Ha...!
If you had told me then that we wouldn't pick them up until August 24, 2009, I would have told you that you were nuts (8 months and 24 days later)...but what do I know.
So, 1 year ago today, we saw the faces that we now look upon daily. I still sometimes forget I have kids, not to mention a 2-year-old and 6-year-old!! God has chosen us to be Mommy & Daddy to these precious, silly, challenging, loving, handsome little boys...I can't think of a better thing to be thankful for!
No comments:
Post a Comment