Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thursday (8/27)

Thursday was our last full day in Ethiopia. We had some blankets to deliver to one of the new orphanages that our agency is working with, so we took off that morning in search of the orphanage. Kenny turned around a few minutes after we left the guesthouse and said, "We are crazy!" We had just left with a driver who knew little English and had put him in contact with Endris, who worked at the orphanage, to tell him where to go. We had NO idea where the orphanage was and we were totally depending on the 2 of them to get us where we needed to be. Two different times, we just stopped and sat on the side of the road until our driver's phone rang and then he took off again. Eventually, we actually picked up Endris and headed to the orphanage, but our driver didn't know enough English to be able to tell us that was what we were waiting on the whole time!

The babies were beautiful at the orphanage...and SO tiny!! Some of them only weeks old!



After this first stop, we headed back to KVI to see Dawit! Praise the Lord he was finally there and I got my hands on him! The kids were all awake this time, so I got to take pictures of all the kids. The nurse was so kind to us and the boys while we were there.



After the stops at the orphanages, our driver took us to a traditional Ethiopian market so we could buy a few things (read as: tourist purchases). We stopped at one store front and he hooked us up with Ethiopian artifacts, postcards for Grace and as always, a flag...Kenny has a flag for every country he has visited, so Ethiopia was no exception. Don't ask me what we are going to do with all these flags!

I took a video while we were driving on Thursday, just so you could see the streets of Ethiopia. It's about 5 minutes long and really does no justice to how things look over there. Keep an eye out for the massive scaffolding made only out of tree limbs (that can't be safe!) and also for the huge herd of goats walking down the street. I was shocked by the amount of animals just walking down the streets and didn't understand how they kept up with what goat belong to who, until I noticed one day that they are all spray painted down their backs. I guess that's one what to do it...

1 comment:

ARMSTRONG ADVENTURES said...

For some reason, I can't watch the video!