Sunday, September 06, 2009

Firsts...

We broke out the Wii this weekend! It was a huge hit and our 5-year-old is officially better at bowling than me and Kenny. That's just sad, especially since we've been practicing so that we wouldn't be embarrassed by a 5-year-old and he didn't even know what a Wii was until Saturday! Sam didn't quite get the gist, but was content to hold a remote with no batteries and yell, "Yes!" every time Charlie bowled!




Call me on child labor laws because I put the youngest one to work! We worked Saturday afternoon on cleaning up a picnic table--great Goodwill find (Thanks Adrienne!). Sam is a great helper and probably played for 2 hours in the water and bubbles. And used a toothbrush to get in the cracks!




They can hate me later for this, but we took our first bath this weekend...as in, not a shower! I don't think that they had taken a bath before, since the first time I tried to give Sam a bath in Ethiopia he wouldn't actually sit down. We won't be able to do this for long...it was a little crowded with all those legs in there!



Charlie learned to write his name...and was super excited about it, too!



And Sam discovered the legos. He loves stacking blocks, but especially likes that these blocks "stick" together!



And I don't have pictures of this, but Kenny started teaching Charlie how to play catch. Working on the stepping when you throw part and for some reason he feels the need to fall down every time he tries to catch the ball! :) Must be a cultural thing, because he falls down half the time when he kicks a soccer ball, too. Even if there is no one near him.

We've also discovered that we love chips and salsa, carrots, chicken fingers, apples (Charlie), grilled cheese (Sam), and ice cream & cinnamon rolls (both). We DO NOT like yogurt and for Sam...most anything that isn't a bread product! Got to get some fruits and veggies in that kid!

10 comments:

Jessica M said...

Is it ok if I comment on every blog entry to let you know how excited I am? :) haha. Ok, so so enjoying reading updates!!

Carla said...

I can't believe how much healthier the boys look. It's amazing! They are simply beautiful. I have a friend who brought home a little boy from ET and he wouldn't eat anything... so she tried putting tobasco sauce on the food since she knew the food there was so spicy. And wouldn't you know, he ate everything after that.
Carla

The Cook Family said...

Yes, Jessica, PLEASE comment on every post! I love hearing from you!! :)

Carla, the only way that Charlie would eat grilled cheese yesterday was after he discovered that he could dip it in HOT salsa! So, yeah, we've discovered the spicy thing too!

Lauren said...

pics are precious!!! bath tub shot and charlie holding up his name are my 2 favs!! the boys look so happy and i am still giddy over the fact that you finally have them home! how are they taking to their "new names?" are yall calling them charlie and sam or their ethopian names? much love :)

Becoming a family of 4 said...

Sounds like you are having so much fun. Love the pictures of Charlie holding up his name and the bath one.

David and Katie Kizziah said...

I am so giddy with excitement! I know that each minute with these precious boys is such a gift. I can only imagine how much fun you guys are having being Mom and Dad. It is obvious they love being your sons! Praise the Lord for the beautiful bonding and obvious love and affection that is filling your house! We are so thankful for your family! What a testimony of God's love and grace . . .

Bethany said...

Okay did I miss the post where they are going by their new names?! How is that going?!
Oh and Cam was only eating bread for about 2 1/2 months and now he will barely touch bread hehe!! he mad himself sick of it!!!

Carree Stewart said...

This is fantastic - congratulations! It's so great to see them at home finally. Yay!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jana,
One of Ethan's favorite books is called "Charlie Cook's Favorite Book". I'm so buying it for Charlie. I'll catch up with you again on Facebook and get your new address. Love yall! Congrats again.

Jane Fisher said...

So Jana, I seem to recall that ketchup is a vegetable because it is made from tomato. A very wise teenager told me that once.
I love the blog and am so happy for you and Kenny.