We have chosen to keep the boy's given names as their middle names, preserving part of their history and culture. And are giving them first names that we have chosen that have significance and importance to us, passing on part of their new family heritage.
When we return home, their legal names will be [Given Ethiopian Name] Kenneth Cook, following the way that Ethiopians name their children...giving them a name and using the father's name as the child's middle name. One thing I have failed to do though, is to use their Ethiopian names as often, because most of you aren't even aware of their Ethiopian names.

As Charles Nuredin & Samuel Edasso become a forever part of the Cook Family, I hope they truly understand and appreciate both of their names. And whether they chose to go by Nuredin & Edasso or Charlie & Sam, I can have peace knowing that they haven't been stripped of their Ethiopian heritage and that we are also passing on a piece of their new family heritage as well.
The following is a quote from the group I mentioned earlier, but one I feels sums up the debate very well...
"While we all want to celebrate and continue our Ethiopian children's culture, and we are right to do that, at the same time we should not be ashamed to celebrate and honor our own at the same time. Not only are our families becoming multicultural but our child is as well. He/She is joining us in the American traditions ...tradition we also hold dear. Not only will our country be a melting pot but our living room will as well. In the case of adding an American name to an Ethiopian name--what better way to acknowledge this new brave rich life the child is embarking on?"
Well said.
No comments:
Post a Comment