Saturday, August 22, 2009

And we're off...

The list is complete. Well, except for two minor details that really had no actual bearing on our trip, but I really wanted to get done before we left. But, none the less, the windows will be here, waiting to be cleaned upon my arrival back home...

The bags are packed...all four of them. And all weighing in under 50 pounds each! I'm impressed! I am a notorious OVER-packer...and proud of it, too! But I think I controlled my over-packing tendencies and did a pretty good job this time around. I'm actually only taking 3 pairs of shoes! I probably over-packed more for the boys, but feel I should be given grace on this since I've never actually seen them and don't know exactly what size clothes will fit them best.

The basement playroom is finished...er, functional. The finishing details, such as baseboards, touch up paint, adding the columns still need to be completed, but that can be done later. A whole team of folks worked fast and furious all day on Tuesday, and by that evening, it was complete! A HUGE thanks to all who helped!!



We are leaving bright and early in the morning...headed to the Windy City, next stop DC, then on to Rome with a final stop in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia sometime late on Sunday night. We will get to see the boys on Monday morning.........

I just have to let that sink in. It still doesn't quite seem real. This time since May 18, 2008 has been the longest 15 months ever, but on the other hand, has flown by. We saw their faces for the first time on December 1, 2008. And on August 24, 2009, I will give them the biggest hug they've ever had!!

How you can pray for us...

Safe travels! We have both been overseas before, but this is my first time to Africa. Safety as we change planes, travel from city to city and as we drive around Addis. If it's like any other international city I've been to, they don't really abide by any traffic laws. Makes for interesting rush hour!

Transition. The boys should be coming with us on Monday afternoon, but keep in mind that although they will be leaving with Mom & Dad, we are still virtually strangers to them. Pray that they bond well, know that we are safe, and transition well to being a part of the Cook family! As crazy as we all are...

Sleep and rest for all of us! Our bodies will be experiencing an eight hour time change...one that is sure to rock our worlds and turn our schedules upside down. I'm not found of losing sleep...something I'm sure will happen lots over the next...oh, 18 years or so.

Embassy appointment on Wednesday, August 26th. This is basically what our entire trip revolves around. And while I'm still not sure what to expect on Wednesday, I know that whatever we do, paperwork and all, has to happen in order for the boys to come home with us. Pray that all paperwork is correct, in place and that it's a smooth process.

Health! I've have had a massive sinus infection and am still getting over it. Although I feel tons better, I'm a little concerned that my head may explode due to the pressure of being on an airplane. That could get a little messy, so just pray for a pain free ride and that my antibiotic continues to do its job!

The blog will hopefully but updated, pending my contact with Nicole in the USA. I hope to get in some emails, texts, etc to let you guys know how it's going, but for now...

I'm signing off...


5 comments:

tera said...

I can't wait to see you all together! Praising the Lord for God's grace and protection!

Lauren said...

i am crying i am so excited for yall. i will be praying for your trip and for your boys. take lots of pics and we cant wait to hear all about it!! Charlie and Sam will soon find out that they are two of the luckiest little boys in the whole wide world!

Brenda said...

How exciting! Can't wait to hear all about it and meet your sons....enjoy every moment!

David and Katie Kizziah said...

AHHHH! I can't imagine the excitement overwhelming you guys right now! I am feeling some myself, but trying to imagine that multiplied by a million, at least!
We are definitely lifting you to the Lord ~ thank you for including specific ways to pray.

The play room looks great and the pics of the boys are precious. I imagined the emotions of seeing them on Monday. It's almost too much!!! Can't wait to hear and see!!

Becoming a family of 4 said...

Your boys are beautiful. Enjoy every minute of your trip. Have fun and we can't wait to see you with those prcious boys in your arms. We are prying for you.