Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Deja vu! ...all over again.

Since we changed agencies, we added a couple of steps (very pain free, might I add) to our process and I had to make return trips to the county courthouse and to Frankfort to get some documents authenticated.

I would like to recount the conversation that I had with a sweet old lady at the county courthouse this morning...we'll call her Ethel. This conversation also voids the fact that I thought they knew what they were doing...

"May I help you, dear?"
"Yes ma'am, I need to get a few documents authenticated for an adoption."
"Huh? You need who?"
...noticing that Ms. Ethel is sporting hearing aids, I repeat myself, this time louder. At this point, Ms. Ethel cocks her head to one side, much like a confused puppy dog looking for a lost bone would, with a look of total confusion. I went on to explain further...
"I need to have the county clerk authenticate...sign a paper...for these papers that are notarized."
"Oh...well, I don't know how to do that."
She gave me a matter-of-fact look and I returned her gaze with my own dumbfounded look. In walks a sweet soul (we'll call her Abby) who helped me last time, who gave me a smile, kindly took my documents and told me, "I'll take care of that. Just give me 5 minutes." Ms. Ethel confides in me once Abby was out of ear shot..."I get confused with all these papers and I try not to do things and mess them up."

Well, that's one way to get out of doing your job!! Bless Ms. Ethel's heart...I would rather her not "mess" my papers up either!! :)


From the courthouse, I headed to the Secretary of State office in Frankfort. This time around, I had a little additional help. Faithful partner-in-crime, Nicole, was once again able to go with me and keep me company and her youngest one Emma, joined us as well (she thought we were actually going to get the kids today, so imagine her disappointment when all we did was get paperwork signed!). Don't you worry, Emma...I'm working hard to bring home your new friends!!


So, dossier paperwork is completed on my end and now I need to send it off to Washington D.C. I think...I think...that this is where we start really waiting...

No comments: