Saturday, October 11, 2008

Red and yellow, black and white...

I have bronchitis. And being banned from leaving the house by my "You need to rest to get well!" proclaiming husband, I am going a little stir crazy and have been left with far too much time on my hands. And it's only been one day! (Don't feel sorry for me...other than hacking up a lung, making me feel like I've done 1,437 sit-ups, I don't really feel that bad.) So, I've been perusing the internet...mostly reading/stalking random blogs of people who are or already have adopted. I am fascinated with other people's stories and how they went about each step in the process...My favorite part is always when they welcome the child home, of course, making me cry. And then cough again.

I've also been reading through the blog of Dr. Russell Moore, who is a professor at Southern and also a teaching pastor at our church, Highview Baptist. Dr. Moore and his wife have adopted two sons and are huge adoption advocates, even being mentioned in The Wall Street Journal! I came across a commentary that I have read before, but had not shared, titled Transracial Adoption, the Gospel, and You. I encourage you to read the article. Kenny and I realize that we are adopting a child that will have a different skin color than ours. You may (or may not) be surprised at the number of questions we get, regarding whether we realize this. (I'll spare you the sarcastic comments I would often like to respond with...) Our children will be black--100% chance of this. We are white--100% chance that this will not change. (I don't even tan well.) Doesn't change the fact that each child deserves to be loved by a mommy and a daddy, no matter the color.

I long for us (meaning, our generation and older) to look at each other through the eyes of a child. Many of our friends have children who are immersed in a culture that includes children and parents of different skin colors. For once, pretend you are 3-years-old and look past that smiling dark face to someone who is probably more like you than you realize. I hope that our children's best friends will make up a rainbow of colors...similar to what we will see in heaven...

...they are precious in His sight!

1 comment:

Jessica M said...

i heart you. enough said. :) i talk about yall all the time...you and that wonderful God we serve. :)