Friday, September 05, 2008

The countdown is on!

Amidst my certain uncertainty that the folks at Spencer County hadn't a clue what adoption was, I approached the local courthouse on Main Street this morning not knowing exactly what response I would get. After a frustrating phone call last week where I attempted to find out where I needed to go to get our dossier authenticated at the county level, I just knew this would be a disaster in the making...

I was pleasantly surprised. I must apologize to the County Clerk's office for underestimating their abilities. Once we determined where I needed to be, I was able to get our documents authenticated with little explanation of what I actually needed. Although they told me they didn't think they had authenticated any paper work before for an Ethiopia adoption...I'm proud that we can bring a little diversity to our tiny county! First, a new McDonald's, then, a baby from Ethiopia...how much more change can Spencer County handle? :) This was our dossier's first stop...next stop: Frankfort, KY, the state capitol, to visit with the Secretary of State.

In other, most exciting news, our completed and approved homestudy was sent to USCIS on Tuesday, beginning the estimated 30-50 day approval process for our I-600a (remember when we got our super cool digital fingerprints...). The countdown has begun! So, hopefully...prayerfully, we will received our I-171 (a "golden ticket" of sorts) sometime in October, if not sooner, which means we would be ready to receive a referral!! That is super exciting to me!!!! And to give you guys a little bit of an idea of what a referral may look like for us...we have been approved for 1 or 2 children, under the age of 24 months, either sex. I know what you are thinking...Twins? Maybe. Siblings? It's a possibility. We could go from a family of 2 to a family of 4 overnight, Lord willing. But who knows what (or who!) God has in store for us...

We wait. As patiently as my little heart will allow. (And yeah, the golden arches have made their apperance in our little town...it's been an exciting week!)

No comments: