Last night we went to Ashland Avenue Baptist Church in Lexington, KY (rather spur of the moment) with friends (and pastor) Nick & Kyndra, to the Mars Hill Conversations...Their discussion last night was on adoption and they had invited two great men from Southern Seminary who have personal experience with adoption, Dr. Russell Moore and Dr. Randy Stinson, to speak.
Besides sitting there in tears much of the discussion as I listened to some of their personal stories (and wanting to leave immediately to go to Ethiopia!), I was reminded that adoption and caring for orphans is as much a command from God as tithing or loving my neighbor. Some people will pray for those adopting, some will encourage those who are adopting, some will support financially, some will actually adopt...but we as Christians have ALL been called to have a hand in adoption as we care for orphans. And while my thinking is probably skewed (I'm only human, what can I say?), I somehow feel differently about this command. I feel honored to be able to adopt. I feel like God has chosen us to adopt. I feel selfish in my desire to adopt! We have been given an incredible opportunity and have already been blessed beyond measure and it's only been 3 short months. I can't help but think how this child is going to flip our world upside down, but in the best way possible! ...I'm glad we went!
“Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.” James 1:27
3 comments:
your post made me cry. i am so excited for yall...i feel like i am living it step by step through you and share in your joys, challenges, excitements and blessings! your babies are blessing us all!! cant wait til you bring him/her/them home!! love the updates...please keep them coming!
Sometimes I wonder if my family would have gotten to know you as well if you two had stayed here, as they are by reading your blog. It's not the way you have with words, but the way you let the love of the Lord shine through your words and your life. He is using you in more ways than you can imagine. Much love. Lisa
You 2 sure make a Dad proud. After getting the first grandchild a little over 4 months ago, my world has also change. I can't wait to see him each morning and each afternoon. I love to rock him to sleep at night. So it is clear to you for future cosideration "Let it be known that as my children you are move down to a lower (second) tier when grandchildren arrive." I cannot wait for you to make me a PaPa for the 2nd and posibly a 3rd time. Interstate 65 will become well known by your Mom and me. I have hugs to give and rocking to do.
I love both of you and I am so happy the way God is working in your life.
Dad
Post a Comment