Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pictures & doctors? She's not a fan.

Holy cow, people.

As I type, I am watching the 20-month-old that was placed in my arms less than 72 hours ago, giggle and laugh at her daddy and play contently in the floor, crawling and rolling all over the place. This is the same child who is now reaching for me, clings to my neck when other people are around and is calmed when upset by coming to one of us.




And on Monday she was completely indifferent to us, laid stoically in the floor, barely moving other than the learned self-stimulating behaviors from the orphanage.

Now I could watch her play all day long! She is hilarious, by the way!!




It is totally an act of God for another orphan to be rescued. In just a few short years, she would have been sent on her way, with no family, no way to care for herself, no one to care for her! To be able to be a part of seeing the changes already taking place in this child who has only had parents 3 short days, is incredibly humbling. God didn't have to give her to us. But He has entrusted her to our care for this time and I'm so excited to see what things she will accomplish.

Amazing.

So, yesterday.

Yesterday we had 3 tasks. Visa picture, medical check and passport picture.

Since I had to set her on this little stool thing, the visa picture went about as well as the family picture did the day before. Screaming at the top of her lungs.

And the medical check? Other than being shocked at her 20 months and 6 kg, the doctors didn't have much to say. After I told them she was deaf, they pulled out their super high tech equipment and gave her a hearing test they way any doctor would....by squeaking a rubber ducky at her. Really??

I did have to lay her down to be checked out and the wailing began again. She was quieted easily just by me picking her up, which really is a huge deal.

For someone who can't hear, she has quite the set of lungs on her!




Then on to the Police Station where they took her picture this time while she was sitting my lap. The other offices should take a clue from the Police Station. This picture experience went much better!

Our guide, Helen, took us and the other two families in our group to a traditional Cantonese restaurant for dinner. THIS is what I have been waiting for the whole time!! (Other than getting my daughter. But that's understood!) She ordered a ton of food, giving us a great variety of things to try. We had tiny whole fish, that we ate, bone and all. Dishes with beef, pork and chicken and even these roasted peppers that were spicy, but soooo good. Even tofu. Kenny told Helen a fib when she asked if he had tried it. She wasn't shy at all about dishing more on your plate if she thought you weren't eating enough...but he did NOT try the tofu, although he told her he did. It was an interesting dish, but I have to say, I'd eat it again.

Thursday is our first sightseeing day and I'm ready to see a little more of this city than all the government offices! We are officially done with the Chinese side of EK's adoption...woohoo!!




"Anyone around here know the country code for the US? I've been told I have friends there!"

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome news...miracle really. So excited to keep up with you through this blog. I think the country code is 011...safe travels friends! ~Susan

Anonymous said...

Oh Jana how sweet. We cannot wait to see you all. We love you so much and are excited.

Brenda said...

What an inspiration you and Kenny are to all of us. God couldn't have picked a better family to rescue these precious children of His. Love to all!