Sunday, June 30, 2013

All about EK.

Thank you guys so much for each comment on the blog, picture like, Facebook comment....we are reading each one and loving that you guys are loving on our little girl from a far, but could never respond to each one! Each prayer is being felt and we appreciate all of your support as we go through this journey!

Here are a few more details about the newest member of the Cook Family. The more time we have with her, the more we learn and the more her little personality emerges! We are absolutely loving spending time with her and can't wait to get home to our boys and the new "normal". Whatever that is...

:: Baby has a rat tail. A mini-mullet of sorts. I guess that's better than the buzz cut she had a few months ago, but I've almost cut it off a few times. Maybe it will even itself out.




:: And speaking of hair, hers is very coarse. I don't know why I expected it to be soft. It looks like it would be so soft to touch, but it's really not. And it has little strands of silver in it! As if she's actually 70 years old. Unless you are looking closely, it almost looks like she has glitter in her hair. I know it will be beautiful as it grows out!

:: We have made the jump to baby food in our bottle successfully! She still doesn't want anything in her mouth but the bottle, so we are just putting what we want her to eat in the bottle! She is taking six 8 to 10 oz bottles a day. With formula, cereal and baby food. Eats almost every 3 hours on the dot, but I'm letting her because she needs all the food she can get. And don't think you might go longer than that. She won't allow it!




:: And don't show sister that bottle unless you have full intentions of giving it to her! Have you ever seen a baby with a temper?? I can show you one if you wave a bottle in front of her without sharing!

:: She is sleeping through the night from about 9pm to 6am. And on a good day napping from 12-2pm. But since most of our days have been spent out and about, she wants to take a nap around 10am. And then again around 6pm. Which means she wants to stay up all night! Trying to get on a schedule here is almost impossible, so we are just in survival mode. I can't wait to get home and get on a schedule!




:: Her spoons still remain her favorite toy. She carries those suckers everywhere! As we speak, she has two spoons in one hand and her comb in the other, banging them up against that full length mirror in our room.




:: She is very vocal! Way more vocal that I assumed she would be. Laughing and cooing at herself and us. All. The. Time. She is really a happy baby, mainly crying when she is wet, tired or hungry. I still am in awe of the changes in her each day. God has truly changed her little heart and she is soaking up Mommy and Daddy loving!! I'm no fool to think we may not hit a rough patch, but I'm enjoying this while I can!

:: She helps me with diaper changes and when we are getting dressed. Holds her little legs up for the diaper. Will stick her legs into pants, arms into her shirt sleeves. It is really funny to watch because she is so tiny, but she knows exactly what is going on!




:: She reaches for us now. If she is upset or just wants to be held, she'll throw those little arms up as if demanding to be picked up! I took a nap this afternoon and when I emerged from the other room after being gone for about an hour, she squealed and came right to me to be held, wrapping her arms around my neck and laying her head on my shoulder. She missed her Mommy!! Honestly, I can't get enough of that. Ever.

:: Sister has a poop stance. Too much information?? You know that cute little thing she does with her head on the floor and hiney in the air? If she holds that position for any length of time, she's pooping. Good to know.




:: Many of you have asked if we are teaching her signs...and we had full intentions of doing that from the start. We have done a few, but none have really stuck yet. A lot of the self-soothing things she does involve her hands. They are constantly moving. So much so that I can't get her to imitate any signs. Right now we are just focusing on bonding and letting her know that she can trust us and we will be there to meet all her needs. We have seen a huge decrease in the self-soothing behaviors since she is letting us hold her and comfort her, instead of doing things like rocking herself to sleep by closing her eyes and shaking her head back and forth. The signs and communication will come. Right now loving her is more important!

Alright folks...I'm going to bed! Y'all are all getting ready to go to church. We will miss our church family this morning, but just knowing that the next time we join you guys will be with a new family member is exciting enough to wait!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those pictures with daddy!!!! Precious!!! She looks SO tiny on him!!! Love the update, so happy to hear how we'll it's going. You are a phenomenal mom. So natural.