Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day(s) of travel.

I have no idea what time it is. I'm really not 100% what day it is...

Kenny just informed me it's about 7pm on Saturday night. We are in transit now from Beijing to Guangzhou. Apparently we both just slept through dinner. But since the last meal I had was breakfast (I think) and that was at 2pm or 2am....I don't even know...I wasn't really worried about it. That's why God gave us granola bars.

The airport in Beijing is ridiculously huge. And since our flight was delayed coming in from Chicago due to weather, we only had a short amount of time to find our connecting flight, which was a least a good 11.5 miles away.

Fortunately, an airport employee stopped to help us with bags, realized we weren't going to make our connecting flight and whisked us off to a secret place to check our bags back in after going through customs and gave us directions about where to go to catch our next flight. I was literally running after this guy and Kenny in the airport. While I'm super glad he stopped to help us, I'm sure we provided someone with some entertainment as they watched the two of them walk with purpose through the airport with a lady who had been awake for 24+ hours (and looking like it!) chasing after them.

These are the things I have learned so far about China:

1. Chinese people are very impatient. Kind. Just impatient. Some are nice about their impatience. Others are not. This Southern girl just wants to tell them all to chill. Running me over with a stroller with your baby in it, is not going to make me move faster. Not that I can since there are already 14 other people in front of me in line. Only makes me want to stop and talk to the sweet baby girl who was probably about EK's age. Major fail on your end.

2. It is hot here. And they aren't fond of AC unless we are moving. So, sitting in plane on runway: no AC. Standing in bus waiting to go to the other side of the airport: no AC. You get the point.

3. That little map picture they show you when you are traveling is there to just make you mad. Because I'm pretty sure we've been on this plane for 37 hours. And we've only moved 2.5 millimeters.





4. If a train or elevator or any other transporting device has a person limit on it, know that it's just there as a suggestion. For example, the super speedy train from one end of the airport in Beijing to the other has a sign that reads "IMPORTANT Capacity: 83 people". There were at least 328 people on that train. Not counting me and Kenny. There's a bunch of people here!

5. There are yellow lines everywhere indicating where you should be. Stand here. Stand there. Don't pass here. Even in the bathroom. I just hope the yellow line police doesn't check the bathroom, because if I followed the yellow line rule in there....I was gonna miss.

------------

We've now made it to Guangzhou, checked in the hotel. Had McDonald's because it was close and we were starving (note missed meal above) and need to go to sleep.

More tomorrow...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: