Sunday, June 23, 2013

One more day.

Well, folks....this is officially my last blog written as a family of 4.

Tomorrow afternoon around 2pm, we will head to the Civil Affairs Office to get Ellie Kate. That means, by the time all you sleepy heads wake up on Monday morning, we will have a baby.

Shew.

Talk about labor pains. I'm beat.

Today has mostly consisted of resting and doing a little exploring. We promised each other we would try to stay up today to get ourselves on local time. We did cave and take a nap. Which was necessary because I felt a little like I had had too much to drink. Except I don't drink.

But that is what jet lag feels like.

I could have slept for much longer, but forced myself to get up and write this blog post. That's my disclaimer if parts of this don't make sense. I'm only half aware of what is actually going on.

We had breakfast this morning at the hotel's ridiculous breakfast buffet. For me, that was rice noodles and some watermelon juice. Kenny found a pile of bacon and couldn't seem to move past that. I had some bacon too. China bacon is good! (Sorry. No pictures of the bacon. Just know it was good.)

Outside the breakfast area is a beautiful garden. With man-eating koi in the pond. Seriously. They'd probably swallow me whole if I fell in. They are huge!




We took off to explore around the hotel a bit after breakfast. This is our hotel from across the street. We are on the 15th floor. (Note: As we were leaving we ran into a fellow American and introduced ourselves and chatted a little as we walked. He and his wife are on their second week in country and with their 14-month-old daughter. Funny thing is, they are from Missouri and know our Worship Pastor and his wife! Small world.)




Here's where I can tell you our trips to Ethiopia and now China have vastly differed. This is a 5 star hotel. I mean, our room is as big as the first apartment Kenny and I lived in. Not joking. In Ethiopia, we stayed in a guest house and had to wonder each day at what point the power would go out. We knew it was, just a matter of when. In China, I think I've counted 13 light switches just in our room alone. And they all come on when we want them to. It's really the little things, folks.








This is one of the store fronts we passed. Don't know why, but it struck me as funny. Hotwind. No, thanks. Seeing as I started sweating 4.5 seconds after I set foot outside, no need to get anything from anywhere called Hotwind.

We were kinda on our own today since our guide was collecting the rest of our group from the airport and train station. So we took a gamble on a little hole in the wall place and got some noodles for lunch. They spoke no English, we speak no Cantonese. So there was a lot of pointing at pictures and gesturing. But it's noodles. How hard can it be to mess that up??

Let's just call what I had interesting. I ate most of it, but I need to get some help pronto on ordering food.

We woke this afternoon to a rain storm. This is the view from our hotel room. Waiting on it to pass to go find dinner. Here's hoping we have more luck than we did at lunch time.




I make you one promise. The next picture I post here will be of our sweet Ellie Kate!

Who else is ridiculously excited??

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: