You see, I've been trying to explain that now that this school year is finished, it's summer time. And summer time means lots of fun at home, trips to 'Bama and the beach, mornings of sleeping in (yeah, right), etc, etc...and no more school until August. The conversations have gone a little like this...
Me: "C'mon Sam, it's time to get ready for bed."
Sam: "But Mommy, I haven't had summer yet!"
Me: "Wha...?? Oh, good grief! It IS summer, you don't HAVE summer." (
Charlie: "It's not summer. It's not summer until June 21st." (very mater-of-fact)
Me: "OK, so we are on summer BREAK. And you are right, the season doesn't officially change to summer until June 21st."
Sam: "I didn't have summer." (fighting back almost tears...)
Charlie: "It's not summer yet."
Sam: "Can I go to Alabama on summer?"
Me: "Yes, we will go to Alabama this summer."
Charlie: "It's not summer."
Sam: "I didn't have summer." (big tears welling up in his eyes...)
Me: "Go to bed. Or I'm gonna cancel summer."
Charlie: "It's not summer......"
Long pause.
Sam: "Can I have summer now, please?"
As much as I've been looking forward to summer and no schedules, no homework, no lunch-making, I'm thinking about changing it's name.
We're just on a break. That's not at all confusing, is it??
3 comments:
I had parts of this same conversation with Mom Peg the other day! Maybe we need to get her and Charlie and Sam together and they could understand each other! :)
That is hilarious!
Hilarious! Jack and I have been through the same thing and I have totally given up on him understanding it. As any good mommy would, I just tell him to be quiet because I can't talk about it anymore.
Post a Comment