I'm not one to usually make big New Year's resolutions...It's almost like setting myself up for failure because I set such expectations for myself and usually just watch as they all come crumbling down around me. Yeah, I know it's a surprise to most of you that I don't actually exude perfection, but dry up those tears and move on. I can't please all of the general public. (Geez, I sound like my dad...)
So, these aren't New Year's Resolutions, rather they are my random Declarations of Improvement which just happen to be composed near the beginning of 2009...
- Go to bed earlier. Like between 10 & 11, instead of 12 & 1.
- Read more. And I'm not talking about other people's blogs. I mean actual real, paper books. Those are still in print, you know?
- Decrease weekly clutter by spending 5 minutes each night before bed just picking up.
- And to add to above, empty the dishwasher when it's done, so when there are dirty dishes, they can go straight in instead of piling up and flowing from the sink.
- Decrease time spent on blogs, Facebook, internet in general so that number 1 & 2 can be a possibility. Especially at night...I just get wrapped up in stuff and before I know it, it's midnight!
- Writing more encouraging notes to friends and sending via good old-fashion mail. It's fun to get mail! You know, from that box out in your front yard...
- Continue to put the adoption posts from the blog on blurb and print a book for the boys documenting this process. (Yet another hindrance to number 5 because of my need for exact precision for each word, photo, etc...) (More on this blurb thing later...)
- Watch my mouth! This is for the little ears that will soon occupy our home. I can be a tad sarcastic (surprising, I know) and I don't want my boys growing up thinking that's how normal people communicate with each other. Oh, they will have their own little sense of humor, I'm sure, but I just need to tone it down...as in, there is no need for EVERY word that I say to be dripping in sarcasm. (I've already kicked the "Oh, crap!" habit...replacing it with "Oh, snap!"...that's better, right?)
- And I might as well join the billion other Americans on this one...eating better, exercising and losing a little bit of weight! This one I do have a little incentive in, as Nicole & I have challenged our boys in our church's Biggest Loser contest. (See here!)
- Learn to be a mommy. By far...#1 focus for 2009! :)
These are my current declarations...really more than I meant to have. Don't want to overload myself. Check your mailbox. Maybe you will get a handwritten note from me. Or maybe not. I may go to bed early.
3 comments:
The words thing is probably the hardest! Haha! Logan doesn't know what we are saying yet, but my nephew is 2 and he repeats EVERYTHING. Trying not to say crap is hard and then you start using kid words all the time like teetee. I believe he repeated the word "ghetto" the other day. Funny, but not really appropriate for a 2 year old. LOL!
We have so many in common! You know, I am using blurb right now too and experiencing the same problem with my perfectionism. I love that software though - it's awesome! Oh, SNAP...I like that!
I am getting a kick out of your good intentions! I think when you get your two boys you will: 1) be in bed right after them, 2) won't care about cleaning up every night(what's the use?), &, 3)you won't read unless it's short stories or kids books (hmm, those do go hand in hand). Better write those letters now! You have a couple (I'm praying for just a couple)of months to do these before everything is tossed!
Post a Comment