So, I'm not sure if you guys know what I do or not, but if you keep reading, you are about to find out. I am an Initial Service Coordinator for Kentucky's statewide Early Intervention Program, First Steps. Meaning that I serve as a case manager of sorts to help families with children birth to three who have developmental delays or diagnosis (such as autism, down syndrome, cerebral palsy, etc.) set up services for their children...speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, developmental intervention, etc. Our offices are housed at an agency called Seven Counties Services and we take referrals for the seven county region that surrounds Louisville. I make home visits to these families on a daily basis to help them determined what is needed to help out their little ones.
I tell you this because First Steps just celebrated their 20 year birthday and a local news station actually did a story about us!! Whoohoo! (We don't usually get a lot of attention, so I was excited for us!) Below is the link to the story on Fox 41's website. The lady they interviewed actually works with me now as a Service Coordinator, which I found odd that they didn't mention...
Click for story...First Steps celebrates 20-year milestone!!
On a more personal note, we see many families that have adopted internationally. Usually (I stress usually, because, of course, there are always exceptions to that), the delays we see in children that are adopted are merely environmental and once that child is placed in their forever home and receiving appropriate interaction from their family, they typically only end up in our program for a couple of months before they are back on track. My co-workers have made it their personal mission to make sure I get all of our adoption referrals that have come in recently. I have been able to see several families in the past couple of months that have adopted and am thrilled to be able to help them. I know it is scary to bring home a child that has delays or other issues you aren't comfortable with, but I love that First Steps is avaliable to help us out!!
Now you know what I spend lots of my time doing! Hope you feel smarter!
No comments:
Post a Comment