Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Reality

I don't have much of an update as far as the adoption goes. We are waiting on our homestudy to be finished and processed, getting the documents together for our dossier (remember...the "dozer") and getting all of that notarized in the next week or so.

I know that y'all have seen some of statistics from a previous post, but I found these on another website and I am just blown away by the reality of the people of Ethiopia. These statistics would be totally unacceptable in the United States, but are shockingly true in Ethiopia...

Life expectancy: 42 years old.
One out of every 20 children born alive die, in their first month of life.
One out of ten die before reaching their first birthday.
One out of six die before reaching their fifth birthday.
There are 4.6 million orphans in Ethiopia.
The median age in Ethiopia is 18.
1.5 million people in Ethiopia are infected with AIDS.
Per capita, Ethiopia receives less aid than any country in Africa.
Every 15 SECONDS, another child becomes an AIDS orphan in Africa.
Every DAY 5,760 more children become orphans.
Every YEAR 2,102,400 more children become orphans (in Africa alone).


The Lord has lead our hearts to Ethiopia, where some of His children live...and die...

No comments: