Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I LOVE my Sparkly Chcolate!

Just a portion of the evening conversation last night that actually kept us rolling, documented by Nicole. Between discussions about our ears hurting when we have the hiccups and trucks having "truck butts", our kids are actually fairly entertaining. Who needs to spend $37 per ticket to the movies when you can watch a comedy routine in your own living room?
Kids are so much smarter than us. I love that they don't see people as different races. I have no doubt that unless taught otherwise they just think we are all the same, just colored a little differently.

Last night the Cook and Jolly kids are having ice cream. Charlie looks around the table (Sam and Emma have already moved on) and says, "hey, you are all vanilla and I am chocolate." Very true. Then there was some discussion about whether or not Sam and Charlie were the same color. Apparently the kids believe Sam is a little darker. Grace told Charlie that she thinks Sam is a little shinier than he is. Charlie's response: "well, when I take a shower and I am still a little bit wet, I have sparkles."

There ya go. There is no black and white. There is, however, sparkly chocolate
.

Speaking of sparkly chocolate, we've had much discussion lately about adoption and the many issues that surround it. The boys know they were adopted. And are proud of it. It's kinda obvious. Despite the many questions that we received before the boys arrived home about whether or not we would tell them they were adopted. I'll spare you all the ridiculous comments I wanted to answer that question with. Just imagine my face with an "are you serious?" look on it.

"Adopt" was recently one of our phonic words and to see Charlie say that word and grin really big at me just melts my heart. Kinda makes me tear up right now. He has recently recognized the differences in people around him, hence the above mentioned conversation, but he will tell you him being "sparkly chocolate" and Mommy vanilla is no different than him having brown eyes and Daddy having blue. It's just all part of God's plan for some good looking people!

But Charlie told me the other day, in his cute little accent, "I'm really confused about how I was born." Weeeellllll...I assumed that wasn't a literal question and decided to save the whole "where babies come from" talk for some other time and we talked about his birth mom and how much she loved him, but that God knew even before he was born that we would be a part of this family. We aren't so confused anymore about how we were born, but now we are just a little skeptical that Nicole was actually adopted. (She is, if you are wondering. Just domestically.) After all, she's just plain 'ol vanilla and looks like her mom. Not my words, by the way.

Faker.

1 comment:

Justin and Donna Brown said...

I never get tired reading about Charlie and Sam! I am so entertained by them I can't imagine how much fun you have!