Thursday, November 25, 2010

Glue, Jesuse & Freshly Baked Cookies

What are you thankful for? At our house, it's glue, Jesuse & cookies.

In preparation for Thanksgiving, I've spent the majority of my mornings this week and last making hand print turkeys and colorful cornucopias with 2-year-olds. And I decided that there is a reason that Elmer's Glue doesn't suggest use with individuals under the age of 25. Seriously. Pair glue, boogers, snot & slobber with the leftover goldfish cracker crumbs from snack time and all you have is a mess. A mess that only a parent can appreciate until they realized how many germs are actually pasted on that beloved paper. I am thankful I'm a mommy on the receiving end of some of those goopy messes.

Charlie brought home an Indian headdress from school, complete with construction paper feathers that stated "I am thankful for family, jesuse and cusins." I am thankful he's at a school where it's okay to be thankful for "jesuse".


The boys and Kenny made chocolate chip cookies, including a giant one for each of us. I'm thankful I have a warm house and that it smells like freshly baked cookies.

Sam continues to keep us rolling with his demanding tone and use of all the words he knows together in one sentence. And Charlie with his literal interpretation of everything. I'm thankful for the laughter of two boys who are only celebrating their second Thanksgiving (and still don't quite understand why we are eating a giant chicken).

We enjoyed a great Thanksgiving Worship Celebration this past Sunday where our biggest problem was too many volunteers! And frankly, that's a problem I'll take every week. I am thankful for a great church family when ours are miles away.

And the guy that I share all of this with. The one who works long hours for us. The one who cleans the house (and the boys) after passing along strep throat to me. (Thanks, by the way, for your giving spirit.) The one who always makes sure I'm taken care of before he is. I am thankful I am blessed with a spectacular husband.

I have an eternal hope. One that without, I'm not sure how I would get through each daily task. (Especially those including glue and 2-year-olds.) I am thankful to be a child of God.

Be thankful. Have a great Thanksgiving Day. And eat plenty of good stuff.

See y'all on the other side of a turkey-induced coma...

No comments: