I'm still new to this parenting thing and I don't have a clue what I'm doing.
You probably already knew that based on simple observations.
But, seriously. I know that it was in God's ultimate plan for us to start our parenting years with older kids. Sometimes that makes me laugh. But sometimes I just feel a little in over my head.
I'm not sure if it's because my expectations for a 7-year-old boy are just too high. Should I really have to tell you to use soap EVERY time you wash your hands?
Or if learning English is still affecting our day to day routine more than I realize. I told you to put lotion on your hands and you are standing there looking at me like I just asked you to eat barbecued lizard tails for dinner.
Or maybe the patience I've always felt I've had, has already been used up. Did you just spill your milk for the fourteenth time today even though it's just breakfast?
And maybe expecting a 3-year-old to obey ALL of the time really is unrealistic. I asked you to take off your clothes and get ready for bath, but instead you are spinning around in circles and making snake sounds.
We have really well behaved boys. For the most part. They do have their moments. Yes, you have to pull down your pants PRIOR to going to the bathroom.
They do make us laugh. A lot. We may not have full use of the English language, but we can quote commercials with the best of them. And at the most inappropriate times.
But after a recent conversation with Charlie where I realized that he wasn't following directions because he thought he was going to get in trouble, I realized that although we have made huge strides in the last year, we still have a long way to go. (Let me add that while he has been disciplined, it is a rare occasion and usually after given many chances to make the right choice.) I pray that fear wasn't fueling that choice not to obey, but just a simple lack of understanding.
I probably just need to chill out. It's okay if the laundry has been sitting on the couch for 3 days, dinner isn't ready at 6:00 and Sam has dried snot smeared across his face.
Make more time to go through our daily routines. Is 30 minutes not long enough to eat your pop-tart?
And stop and ask the Lord each day, many times a day, to fill me with patience, wisdom and respect for my children.
Dear Lord, please...
1 comment:
Trying times WILL come everyday but you typically handle those with much grace and love and LOTS of humor! You are a wonderful mom and I am VERY proud of you! Keep on doing the great job you are doing with our precious boys!!!!! I love you! Mom
Post a Comment