We have done our best to point the boys back to Christ with all of the conversations we have had about Christmas and although I'm certain they don't understand it all, it's still exciting to see them learn. (The two facts we have nailed down are Baby Jesus' mom and dad's names and that Santa is coming soon...Charlie said in the car yesterday, "Santa Clause me's house 3 days?" Yep, that was a full sentence, folks!)
Sunday we had our Family Christmas Service at church (which ended up not being quite so "family" for us, since Kenny was home with Sam who was running a fever). They served communion at the end of the service and I mentally prepared myself as the plates passed for the onslaught of questions I knew I was about to receive as I partook of the Lord's Supper and Charlie was passed by. I could think of no way to really explain this ceremony to Charlie in words that he would understood, so instead when he looked up at me and the questions came, I answered him as simply as I could and said a quiet prayer over him that he would soon understand the love that Christ had for him. My answer seemed to suffice for the time being (either that, or he just decided the candle he was holding was more interesting), but I find myself having inner arguments about this all the time. It's so hard to look ahead into the future to a time where he will be able to understand the words needed to share Christ with him. Things that a typical 6-year-old understands are just jibberish to him at this point...evident by his scrunched up face as I try to explain things on a daily basis. It brings me to a realization that we have an important task ahead of us. Yes, I would seek to share Christ with him even if he understood my words, but because he doesn't always understand me, it seems to make it more special and even more important.
As we rapidly approach Christmas Day, I pray that each of you have the opportunity to point someone back to Christ...
1 comment:
Nothing will be as important as your actions, your obedience to the Lord and I have no doubt that the boys see this in your's and Kenny's walk each and every day. The seed has been planted and will bloom. I love you all. Lisa
Post a Comment