I was trying to get the
boys out the door and to school. Sam and
I had a field trip to go on that day. We
were running a little late, but as I check my phone to see what time it was, I
realized I had a missed call and voicemail.
From our social worker at Lifeline.
It was before 7am. Social workers from adoption agencies
generally don’t just call to shoot the breeze with families on a regular basis
before 7 in the morning.
Her voicemail just said to
call her, so I herded everyone out the door, ran and told Kenny I had a
voicemail from Sarah, but that I had to go and headed out the door to the car.
You know that feeling you get when something good is about to happen? Yeah, that’s what was going on.
I called Sarah back and
she told me she had a file for us to look at for a little girl who was born on
October 9, 2011. She is 16 months
old. And that she is congenitally deaf. (If you haven’t read this POST, now would be
the time to do so.)
I was so excited (on the inside!) I actually had her repeat
what she said because I wanted to make sure I heard her correctly. Kenny and I have this deal
worked out where I don’t agree to see any files with out discussing the details
with him first because I just get myself too worked up and want to bring every
child in China
home. And in this tiny house, I’m not
sure we’d be approved to bring home that many more. So I called him, gave him the scoop and we
agreed to let Sarah send us her file.
If you are at all paying
attention, you realize by now that I’m telling you we have been matched!
WAAAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
I knew almost the second
that Sarah told me that she was deaf that this was our Ellie Kate. I hadn’t even seen her picture yet, but a
Mommy’s heart just knows things like that!
And apparently so did her Daddy because when I called him back he said
“Yes!” before I barely said a word to him.
SIDE NOTE: I don’t know how to explain it other than it
just being God, but when we started this process I told Kenny something along
the lines of hoping that her special need was hearing loss. I know, that sounds like an absurd thing to “hope”
for! I even tinkered with the idea of
telling our social worker to look specifically for a child who was deaf, but
decided to leave that in God’s hands. How
cool is it when God aligns your heart and desires with what He already has in
store for you?? I get chills just
thinking about it!!
Praise the Lord for
traffic that morning! I came to a
rolling stop about 10 minutes after Sarah sent the email and was finally able
to look at her picture. Sitting there in
the middle of morning rush hour traffic.
Due to the ill timing of a
kindergarten field trip, I wasn’t really where I could talk to Sarah, so I sent
her a text telling her “YES!” and spent the next FOUR hours watching a play
about a frog (and maybe a toad or a snail…I wasn’t actually paying attention!)
and sneaking looks at my phone to look at her picture. Sneaking, because I was sitting with Sam’s
teacher and she had made multiple comments about how she had asked the parent’s
to put their phones away during the play, but no one was listening.
Yeah, I was that
parent. The one disobeying the
teacher. But at that point I didn’t
care.
As soon as I was able, I
touched base with Sarah and she sent me the documents I needed to file our PA
(pre-approval). We submitted that
paperwork first thing on Wednesday morning.
It usually takes about 2-3 weeks to get back and one of the things that it
allows us to do is share her picture publicly (hence the blog post).
I got a phone call just
this morning that our PA had come back…a mere 3 days after being filed!!!! As if we needed more confirmation that this
child was ours, God gave it to us in a short 3 days!
So, without prolonging
this any further…
Meet Ellie Kate!!
I know! She’s about the cutest thing I’ve seen since
December 1, 2008 when I opened the email of two handsome Ethiopians staring
back at me!
Happy Referral Day!!
More later on telling the
boys and what happens next…
4 comments:
Congratulations! She is precious! Btw, I am Lindsey from the Lifeline FB group.
I am a speech therapist for an elementary school and I work with several deaf/hearing impaired children. With today's technology, the potential is unlimited for these children! I'm sure your mind is spinning in a million different directions, but if you have any questions about hearing aids, cochlear implants or therpaies (speech, auditory-verbal) please let me know and I'll do my best to help you!
And how awesome to get PA after 3 days!!
Oops! It would have been nice if I'd spelled therapies correctly! :)
I don't know what it is about you Jana, but you sure do make my allergies act up (sniff)!
Love the five you ya'll
Julio
Julio, sorry to make your "allergies" act up! :)
Lindsey, thanks for the comment!! I'll def let you know if I have any questions! Thankfully we live in a city with tons of resources for deaf children...another God thing, I'm certain!! :)
Post a Comment