Remember when I told you
that China
is fond of their acronyms….well, I’m gonna throw some more at you!
Since getting our PA in
record time (still can’t believe that happen in 3 days!!), we are waiting on
our LOA. Also know as the Letter of
Acceptance. LOA typically comes 90
days-ish after LID. Remember, LID is
log-in date.
We were LID on January 14
and are currently on Day 50 of waiting.
Basically we want to get
LOA ASAP! You got all that?? OK!
Travel to go pick EK up is
usually 2-3 months after LOA, so we are hopefully looking at traveling sometime
this summer. Obviously, the sooner the
better. Duh.
Now, acronyms aside, on to
little Miss Ellie Kate……
Besides being fantastically
precious, she’s a tiny little squirt!
The info we have on her is from the end of November (almost 14 months
old) and at that point she was measuring between 6-9 months. Basically all we know at this point is that
she has been deaf since birth. We were
blessed to have actually received a hearing test and tons of medical info. I say tons because the info we received on
the boys was literally nothing short of their names and a picture, so having
all this info for EK is a tad bit overwhelming!
Other than her hearing and being tiny, she appears to be perfectly
healthy! She is currently in HuaZhou City
in the Guangdong Province .
![]() |
| EK is somewhere near that Huazhou arrow! We will spend about a week there and then travel to |
I’ve been able to talk with an audiologist and get her opinion and talk about what steps we should take once we get her home. We also have some friends that have two little fellas who are deaf and have the same type of hearing loss that EK has. I’m certain they will be an invaluable resource to us as we navigate our way into this new world. (I may annoy her to death before this is all over with…)
And I’m sure it’s just
another piece of this puzzle that God has had in the works for many years, but
Louisville is a fantastic place to be (or be close to!) when raising a child
who is deaf. There are so many resources
available! Because of my early
intervention background, some of those I knew already, others I am finding out
as we go along.
The last week and a half
has been looked at through very different eyes.
I’ve been acutely aware of what things will be different for Ellie
Kate. And for us. Like music…we are a music-loving bunch of
fools around here, dancing to the likes of New Kids on the Block (our latest
obsession) and hitting up some praise and worship music every chance we
get. To think about her possibly not
being able to hear what the boys hear, to praise our God through music, hurts
my heart.
It will be an adjustment
for all of us, but honestly, it’s one I’m looking forward to. I’m excited to learn sign language and teach
the boys. And I can only think that it
would make us more intentional about things that we say and think a little more
before just opening our mouths and letting hurtful words fly. And the good Lord knows that I always need a
little more time to think before just blurting out what I’m thinking! (Please, no comments needed here.)
So…how can you pray??
1. Pray that LOA comes soon! The sooner that coveted document arrives, the sooner we can start moving towards travel plans!!
1. Pray that LOA comes soon! The sooner that coveted document arrives, the sooner we can start moving towards travel plans!!
2. Timing.
I’m just going to leave it at that.
God knows already how the timing of EK’s arrival will happen and His
timing will be the best for our family!
3. Wisdom. We are jumping into something totally new to us. There will be decisions to be made, schedules that will change, routines that will just all around look different. I’m sure much of it will be challenging, but I’m ready to dive in feet first!
God thunders wondrously with his voice; He does great things that we cannot
comprehend.
Job 37:5
I’m holding onto to this
verse right now. If I’ve learned nothing
else from the adoption process, it’s that I serve a God way bigger than me……..

No comments:
Post a Comment