Thursday, January 31, 2013

Bad dreams turned good.


I know most parents may dread the 3am visit from the 5-year-old who has had a bad dream.  I mean, who doesn't want to be woken abruptly by a scared kid who most likely wants you to give up valuable real estate in your bed, right??

I, on the other hand, have a different view on the whole situation.

For the first time in 3 years and 5 months to the day, Sam woke me up at 3:14am with a slap in the face.  Literally.  I'm not kidding.  He slapped me across the face.  It took me a minute to figure out what was going on, but once I realized he was standing there staring at me, I was immediately awake.

He had had a bad dream.  Something about a train.  He was busy climbing into bed with us before I could get the whole story. 

He needed his Mommy.  And snuggled himself right up against me and proceeded to go right back to sleep.

This is the child who was at an orphanage with 100 other kids before his first birthday.  And 18 months later, landed in Kentucky.  So, I’m just guessing here, but this is probably the first time he has ever had a bad dream and sought comfort from someone else.

That reality makes me sad.  But oh, so happy that I get to be the one he comes to when he’s scared, when he’s hurt, when he’s sick…bring on the bad dreams!  We can take ‘em!

And for the record, I carefully delivered him back to his bed after about an hour.  While I enjoyed every second of his snuggles, we only have a queen.  And being sandwiched between your 6ft plus husband and a 5-year-old who is all arms and legs and elbows and knees, isn’t the best way to get a good night sleep.



No comments: