Saturday, November 12, 2011

Good, good food.

If you know me well, you know I like my food.  But I also don't like to spend all day making a meal.  I'm a huge fan of whoever invented the crock-pot, but this simple soup is just as easy, even without my handy dandy friend.  Who I've just decided to name, since we spend so much time together...or rather, he spends so much time working on dinner...any suggestions?

I digress.

Here's another quick and easy dinner that we have been enjoying for quite a while that is perfect for chilly fall nights.  We are big soup people and this is a yummy twist on a simple vegetable soup.  And the kids like it, too!  Of course, they will eat almost anything with the promise of some leftover Halloween candy if they clean their plates.  And no, that's not bribery.  It's called smart.

Easy Italian Stew

2 tbsp Italian Dressing
1 lb bulk Italian sausage
2 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen stir-fry vegetables (white onions; sliced green, red and yellow peppers)
1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 cup Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese

HEAT dressing in large saucepan on medium heat. Add sausage; cook 8 to 10 min. or until done, stirring occasionally to break into small pieces.    

ADD broth, stir-fry vegetables, beans and tomatoes; bring to boil. Stir in macaroni; simmer on medium heat 8 to 10 min. or until macaroni is tender, stirring occasionally.
    
TOP with cheese. Serve with crackers.    

My changes...'cause you know I can't follow a recipe to save my life...I add a little more chicken broth (or water) and cook the whole 16 oz package of noodles.  Because I like noodles.  A lot.  And I use cavatappi noodles because they are super curly and that just makes dinner more fun!  Add some basil and crushed red pepper to amp up the flavor.  And I usually make cornbread to go with it.

You could also use ground beef instead of sausage.  I've done both.  It's good either way.

Yummy?  Check.  Easy?  Check.  Cheap?  Double check!

Recipe courtesy of our friends at Kraft.

No comments: