Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bedtime Prayers

I don't remember the circumstances surrounding it, but at some point over the last few months, we taught the boys the "God is good" prayer. I think they were feeling a little left out when Kenny or I would pray at meal times or at bedtime and they wanted to join in. Now, it is imperative that I remember who prayed at the last meal, so that everyone gets equal turns to pray throughout the day. (I just hope they always have this same eagerness towards prayer!)

Occasionally, Sam will ask to pray during our bedtime prayers as well. He will recite his prayer, followed by Charlie laughing at him because he just prayed for food and we are clearly not eating!

Last night, they both wanted to pray. So, Kenny started and when he finished told Charlie it was his turn...

"God is good. God is great. Let us thank him, for our...sleep!"

My first thought was that is really cute...he prayed for sleep. Then it hit me that maybe he is slowly grasping that we thank God for things we are thankful for...I asked him what other things he wanted to thank God for. He said food (of course!) and after very little prompting, he also said Mommy, Daddy and Sam.

Now, if I could just get them to enjoy that "sleep" until about 9 AM or so, I would be super-thankful!!

No comments: