Friday, November 21, 2008

My guardian angel's name is Carl. His girlfriend is Sarah.

Let me start with saying that last night, it was absolutely freezing. Literally. And it had been snowing. And the wind was blowing fiercely, making that freezing temperature seem more like 47 below zero. Literally.

So, I met with our adoption group last night for desert and coffee and had a grand time. Upon leaving, I discovered an unfortunate occurrence. I had a flat tire. Seriously? I'm beyond cold and at least 30 minutes away from my Knight in Shining armor...that's Kenny, in case you didn't know. I didn't realize my tire was flat until after everybody else had pulled away and now, here I stand in an empty parking lot.. Then Carl pulled up. He and his girlfriend had actually stopped for desert and were leaving too, when they notice I was just standing outside, staring at the Explorer. This was odd, because I mentioned above, my contacts were literally frozen to my eyeballs. This kind soul stopped and offered a helping hand, which turned out to be more than he probably bargained for, since obtaining my jack to change the tire required moving no less than half a million boxes from the back of the car. (Operation Christmas Child had landed in the back of the Explorer after our service project with the kids on Wednesday night.) And to our most pleasant surprise, it was SO cold, the tire was literally frozen and wouldn't release its fierce grip to be changed. After tug-a-war with the tire (the tire won!), we decided to go the fix-a-flat route.

The point of this story is that I had a random person, who didn't know me from Eve, stop, help me, actually left to go buy fix-a-flat for me, and then followed me to Kroger to fill my tire back up...and, here's the kicker...followed me home!!! 30 minutes away! He didn't want me to get going and have trouble so he insisted that I let him follow me. I know, I know...y'all are probably thinking, you shouldn't have let this stranger know where you lived, follow you, be alone with them...but Kenny knew where I was and what was going on at all times and I at no point felt threatened by either of them. It just goes to show you that there are actually still good people in the world who are just willing to do the right thing. While I would have much rather just gone straight home to my warm bed last night, I spent an extra couple hours with a very sweet couple who I would have never met otherwise. God was definitely looking out for me...because, it would have been humerous to watch 7 ladies trying to change a tire that was frozen to the car!!

Note to those who unfortunately have a flat tire in the future: Fix-a-flat ruins tires. Promise. It eats the rubber and if left long enough will eat through the rim. Fortunately, I took the car in this morning to get the tire patched (I had a nail in it) and minimal damage had been done, although we ruined the tire valve which has an automatic sensor to tell me when the tire pressure is low (and has a hefty price tag to replace). I opted for replacing it with the FREE regular tire valve. I can check the pressure myself. Who needs a little light to tell me? The fix-a-flat had literally eaten the aluminum off the sensor, making a big melted mess. But just word of warning...that stuff should be renamed..."Ruin-a-Tire"...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry! Next time we meet, I'll be waiting in the parking lot until everyone pulls out! I would've been great company while Carl changed your tire! Ha Ha!!!

Bethany said...

Oh my goodness...I feel awful!!! We need to echange phone numbers and addresses with everyone in the group anyway...but if you had had that you could have called me! Funny just that day April and myself along with another lady were talking about "angels" that had crossed our paths!!!