Monday, December 05, 2011

REWIND: Bucket List

In the rush that was the week of Thanksgiving, I skipped over the event that may have made Kenny the happiest this year.  Or second happiest.  The LSU/Alabama game was probably first.

He somehow ended up with free tickets to the Notre Dame vs. Boston College game the weekend before Thanksgiving.  And at such late notice that he could find no one with testosterone to accompany him on the 5 hour drive to South Bend, Indiana.  And once I was informed that heading to the great University of Notre Dame was indeed on Kenny's Bucket List, I couldn't let him take the trip alone.

One Saturday, 10 hours in the car, 2 trips to Chick-fil-a, 3 hours in Notre Dame Stadium, 4 frozen ears (due to no ear protection and me refusing to spend $27 on a ND toboggan), 2 frozen hands (due to no hand protection from the one of us that thinks he's too cool for gloves) and 1 giant pretzel later, Kenny's life long wish to visit UND was fulfilled! 



Although, I have to say, being at a Bama game two weeks prior left me thinking Notre Dame and their strong football tradition has nothing on the Tide.  Nothing!

But some things to know when visiting Notre Dame...

Whenever they would score, it was common to turn to the person next to you and pick them up, bench pressing them above your head in celebration.  I managed to keep my feet on the ground and just be a spectator in this particular tradition.

We had really good seats.  Corner of the end zone only 16 rows up.  But right behind the band.  And occasionally they would put their instruments on their heads, or their heads in their instruments if you were a tuba player, and dance around.  I was a band groupie in high school since all my BFF's were either in the band or on the dance line.  And I retain my long standing declaration that band members are just weird.



We did get to see Bon Jovi and Chicago played half time.  Can't say that Bama has that kind of pull.  But who needs it when you can hear The Million Dollar Band...?

At one point the announcer asked the students to stop throwing marshmallows on to the field.  Yep, marshmallows.  Which of course just made them throw more marshmallows.  I have to say, that was quite entertaining. 


And don't have plans after the game?  Don't worry...you can head on over for Mass, immediately following the game.  Wouldn't it be something if we could get everyone to come to church and learn about Jesus after watching Bama kick some butt??  I'm just saying, maybe we are missing a big ministry opportunity...

Speaking of Jesus,  we of course had to visit "Touchdown Jesus".  I'm unsure about how I feel about Him being referred by that name, but I can't argue the fact that he indeed looks like He is indicating a touchdown.


Either way, Kenny got to cross off Notre Dame from his Bucket List and we got to spend a kid-less Saturday just enjoying time with each other.  But I still must end with a hearty ROLL TIDE...especially since Kenny wouldn't let me wear my Bama hoodie to South Bend.  Something about poor sportsmanship...
ROLL TIDE!

2 comments:

Julio said...

Kenny & Jana - I made this trip myself several years ago. Spent 4 days in South Bend. It was great. One of the highlights was talking the UT trainer into letting us in the stadium for practice. Have some photos of me on the field during practice.

Loved all of the tradition(s) there-

Did you find the stature of "1st Down Moses?"

Another of those is- at the beginning of the 4th qtr, an Indiana state trooper reads a public safety announcement that usually ends in a pun. The stadium gets quiet & then cheers loudly afterward. Kinda cool.

Did you see the students jingling their key rings before a "key play?"

The Cook Family said...

YES!! There was a corny announcement...something about using your head (instead of drinking and driving) so you didn't lose your head...

But didn't notice the key thing!