Saturday, December 10, 2011

Well-behaved children and a birthday.

We took these four out to a restaurant last night to celebrate a very special birthday.  A restaurant without french fries and a slide.  Like a sit-down-have-manners-be-quiet-and-wait-for-everyone-else-to-get-done-restaurant.  Dumb, huh?



And our waitress left us this note..."Your family is beautiful!!  Cherish them always!"

Yeah, Emily Post would have been impressed at their show of etiquette and poise.  Ok, so maybe that's stretching it, but they did do a good job.  If you look past Sam attacking his spaghetti and meatballs like he hadn't eaten in weeks.  And no, they don't all belong to me, but I wasn't going to get into that conversation with a stranger..."Yeah, the ones that actually kinda look like me, aren't mine.  These two over here that bear no resemblance to me...they are mine.  Understand?"

Now, back to that very special birthday.

Katie would have been 24 yesterday. 

Some days I can do nothing more than think about you. What you might be doing now...new job? Done with grad school? Engaged? Even married?? Other days, it's almost as if I forget that you aren't here any more. Like my mind has blocked the memory of that horrible week.  Even going as far as picking up my phone to call or text you.  Like I did earlier this week when we had our first snow flakes, which you were always way too excited about.

Just so you know, your nephews talk of you often.  Even think we need to name our new baby sister Katie.  That was Charlie's idea.  He said because I had a sister named Katie, he thinks he should too.
Exploring the McWane Center @ November 2009

You are perfect.  You are whole.  You are healthy.  You can walk.  Heck, you are probably dancing!  Why in the world would you want to come back to this sinful, filthy world when you are dwelling in the house of the Lord??

Can I be happy about that?  Well, it totally sucks.  But I'm doing my best to accept God's plan for your short life as His totally, perfect will.  So while I'm not going to feign happiness, I will be joyful.  For you.

I hope you had a great day, walking those streets of gold and hanging with the big Man.  We celebrated for you yesterday, but I would have way rather celebrated with you...

Happy Birthday, Katie Elizabeth!

No comments: