Thursday, September 08, 2011

MIA: Lunch?

I should be up to more regular posting now. Since my beloved DELL has returned to me running faster than ever. Huge thanks to our computer repair guy who will remain nameless for his own protection. And ours. Not sure he wants to have to fix everybody’s laptop.

Now, a fairly good reason for not returning to regular posting is our schedule that has been turned upside down. Charlie is 3 plus weeks into 2nd grade and loving it. And on a whim, I’m no longer teaching Mother’s Day Out, but doing more work up at the church. So, Sam started preschool this week. The two of us will conquer work and school 3 days a week now, instead of 4. And for that, I am thrilled!  I also have both boys in the same building with me while I'm working.  And I think if I'm going to work a little, that arrangement couldn't be any better!!

First day of Preschool!  Yes, he is tall.  Wearing 5/6 clothes and size 1 shoes.  I promise he is only 4.

Around lunch time on Sam’s first day, I went to peek in on him. He is always Mr. Independent, so I wasn’t worried about him at all, just really wanted to make sure we were behaving. I walked up on the class as they were lining up for lunch.

Let me back up a little…I learned that morning that lunch is included for the preschoolers and I didn’t have to send Sam a lunch. Unfortunately, I had made him one.  And he is quite attached to his lunch box.  Really food in general. He had been more concerned about his lunch box that morning than his backpack.  He didn't care if he had anything else, as long as he had that lunch box.  My mistake:  I simply took his lunch box back to the car and assumed he’d eat lunch in the cafeteria with all his friends.

As I peeked in, I was met with those big, brown eyes that are only reserved for coming tears. And as soon as they saw me, the tears came. His lunch box was gone and in his little mind, that meant he wasn’t eating. Despite me and his teacher explaining that he was going to get to eat fried chicken and mashed potatoes with everyone else. I took off to the car to fetch the missing lunch box and met up with him in the cafeteria.

Really, he just needed to hold it. He held it in his lap while he dug into his yummy chicken. And was perfectly content. It’s really my fault. I should have never taken his lunch box without actually explaining what would happen at lunch time.

You don’t mess with food when it comes to the Cook boys!

No comments: