Friday, August 12, 2011

The loss of summer.

I’m not gonna lie.

I’m in a minor state of mourning.

I can’t believe that in less than a week, summer break as we know it will be over. Not summer.  Just summer break.  (See HERE if you are confused.) 

As much as I crave a schedule and routine, I'm not one of those moms who can't wait for their kids to go back to school.  I'd much rather have lazy days around the house, than the rush that the school year seems to bring with it.  Honestly, I really just don't like to get out of the bed before the sun does.  And the snuggling from a wiggly 4-year-old can't happen if I'm out of the bed before he is.  I do have my priorities.

My 8-year-old will be starting 2nd grade in a couple of days and I’ll again have a private pity party over the years that I never had with him.  Have I mentioned he's almost as tall as me??  And my 4-year-old, with Mommy in tow, will return to his Mother’s Day Out Program in just a few short weeks.  He's not as tall as me, but thinks he is.

Don’t get the wrong idea. It’s Mother’s Day Out for other mommies. I sacrifice and stay with the children to ensure their safety, emotional and educational well being.  And it’s my job, so I really don’t have a choice.

The only plus...  It has almost felt like fall here in Kentucky this week.  Eighty degrees and no humidity.  Almost made me want to build a campfire and roast some s'mores.  Almost.

As you mourn summer's passing with me, enjoy a couple pics from our lake trip with Kenny's family...

The boys and Aunt Stephanie

Everybody.  Well, almost.  Missing Kenny...

Sam with Uncle Mitch trying to grin his way into driving the boat.  Unfortunately, Uncle Mitch is dumber than I thought and Sam soon had a (well-supervised) turn behind the wheel.

Refused to get in the water without his ring, even though I assured him his life jacket would do the job.  Really wanted to try.  Never quite made it...

Mommy and Charlie scaring Gran and Aunt Denise by standing up on the tube.

Apparently, he doesn't need my help to scare them...


EDITOR'S NOTE:  Not that anyone but me would notice, but I'm still without my laptop, which means I can't edit pictures.  So, here they are in all their unedited glory.  Drives me a little nuts. 

No comments: