Sunday, August 21, 2011

Is anyone listening to me??

I would really like to know what exactly my kids hear when I open my mouth.  Sometimes, by the way they respond, I'm assuming their little ears must hear the nonsense from the Charlie Brown cartoon when the adults are talking.  "Mwa, mwa mwa, mwa mwa mwa mwa!"

Tonight on our way home from church, where the boys had to be torn away from ice cream and bouncies, we had a conversation about why it was necessary to go to bed.  And since "Because I'm your mom and I said so!" wasn't cutting it, I went into deep explanation about how it was a school night and we had to go home, take showers and get to bed because if you don't get enough sleep you will be cranky and ill and you might get sick because your body would be too tired to fight off germs.  Great explanation, huh?  Although, the whole "I'm your mom, hear me roar!" thing should have been enough.

Yet, immediately after all that came from my mouth, Charlie said...

"Why do we have to go to bed?"
"I just told you."
"I forgot."
"You forgot?  Or you weren't listening?"
"I don't know."

Long pause because I was tired of talking.  To myself.  And being ignored. 

So Sam piped in...

"Mommy?  I don't hear you talking anymore!"
"I'm done talking.  No one is listening."
"What did you say, Mommy?"

Seriously.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the joys.........Love Mom (Hill)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes..what goes around comes around. You are getting double doses! You will learn like we did. Good luck and God Bless! Gran