Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Jesus is my caffeine.

I don’t drink a lot of caffeine. Mostly water. With the occasional glass of tea or sip of Kenny’s Diet Coke. A touch of caffeine and I’m awake for hours. Literally. HOURS.

But every so often a dose of caffeine is needed to get through the day. So, I stopped by Starbucks to treat myself to caramel frappuccino this morning. Since the past two mornings have involved a broken lamp due to a unnecessarily thrown stuffed monkey, a little boy who felt the need to pee in his pants during breakfast (yes, Monday and Tuesday mornings), lots of untimely and dreary rain and the inability to overcome Mother Nature’s need to short us all an hours sleep, I thought what I needed to get me through today was some yummy, creamy caffeine.

And on my way to hang out with my 2-year-old BFF's, it dawned on me that while I thought I needed caffeine, what I really needed was a little Jesus. Because I had felt rushed, frazzled and frustrated while trying to get ready the past two days, I had opted to skip my much needed time in reading and prayer.

I was inpatient, exhausted, annoyed and probably a little bit rude to those who crossed my path, including my own family. All because I chose to try to sleep a little longer instead of simply asking God for the strength to get through the day.

So, thank you, Starbucks. For helping me realize that I didn’t need caffeine.

I really needed Jesus.

No comments: