Friday, March 11, 2011

A Double Dose of Happy

While I was making 437 cupcakes last night to be shared at school today and wondering if it was actually a smart idea to keep the boy's birthdays on the same day*, I couldn't help but think about their birth mother.

Around here we call her Ethiopia Mommy and while Charlie has shared bits and pieces of his past, I still know very little about Ethiopia Mommy. I do know this, though. She is still a mommy and while there is only a small chance that today is the boy's actual birth days, I'm almost certain that she spends part of every day thinking about the two precious gifts that she so generously gave to us. I don't know the circumstances or the reasons why she was no longer able to care for the boys, but I do know that her heart has to hurt at knowing they are no longer with her. I tear up just thinking about her today.

So, to Nuredin and Edaso's Ethiopia Mommy...words aren't enough, but thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me the greatest gift. Today we celebrate their birth. And we celebrate you.

Happy Birthday to these two crazy boys!

 

It's a little unbelievable to me that I have a 4 and 8-year-old...


*NOTE: The boy's English names are after my grandfather and great-grandfather. And Pop's (aka Charles) birthday is also today, March 11th. So, how could we possibly change their date of birth to be different from their namesake. It was just another sign of God's hand on the exact two little boys He had planned for the Cook family!  Happy Birthday, Pop!!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

happy happy birthday to your little men! i love that they share a birthday. my sister and i have the same bday and are 3 years apart. its always been a super fun celebration!!

Abo, Crys, GB and FB said...

sweet post. What a blessing she was to you and Kenny! Adoption is an AMAZING thing.