The upside to Charlie understanding more English is he usually can follow TV shows, movies and our directions fairly easily now. The downside is he takes everything VERY literally. He is currently terrified that his bones are going to turn into rocks any minute now because of watching a show about dinosaurs and fossils.
Everything at our house now has an owner. It's mys. Who is mys, you ask? He also answers to Sam. "That's mys." "'Dis mys." "Give me mys." I think what we are shooting for here is MINE, but this mys fellow keeps getting first dibs on almost everything...
I could really do a whole post on this, but Kenny thoroughly confused me by talking about changing time zones and losing/gaining days when he flew to Australia....... I sometimes can't remember my left from my right, have no idea what direction the sun sets in and can barely remember what time zone I currently live in. I probably shouldn't admit that on such a public forum. But now you can see why flying to Australia would confuse me.
We haven't quite broached the whole Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny topic yet as terms like pretend and make-believe are very difficult to actually explain. (Try it! It's not easy!) Our approach has really been the fun can't hurt as long as the real reason for the season (when needed) is known. This past Christmas we didn't really talk up Santa, but we didn't deny him either. On the other hand, the boys both know why we celebrate Christmas. This process has worked for us until this past week when my smarter-than-me-7-year-old asked if God made the Tooth Fairy. "Um...welllll, uh...you see...yeah...not really. No. He didn't." Long pause. "May I have more chips?" "Why, yes you may!" Thank the Lord for short attention spans. Didn't really know where I was going with that one.
How can a boy who wore the wrong size (and occasionally the wrong gender) clothing for half of his life be so picky about the fit of his clothes? I have no idea, but if you are looking for the diva of the Cook household, he answers to Charlie!
You know that kind of sleep you get in the car or when you fall asleep sitting in the pew at church (well...not ME...) where your head is bobbing up and down? Only my husband could have that kind of sleep at 11:50 PM...with his head laying on a pillow. Either that or he is having seizures and I should be more concerned...
Sometimes when Sam has had to much to eat, he lets us know by tossing the contents of his dinner back up. Don't worry. He is always fine. I think we are still just working on what the feeling of actually being full feels like. Most recently when this happened, he reported in his cute little squeaky voice, "Uh oh. Sam spill?" Yeah. Sam spilled. All over the place. Just take this as your warning. If he eats too much, you might want to don your parka and rain boots.
What happens when you ask your almost 2nd grader, who has been spending his summer learning 1st grade phonics, what the special sound is for the word "duck"? You walk out of the room laughing when he answers in all seriousness..."Quack?"
When prompting the boys the other day for the "magic word", I was greeted with "Por favor?"...was actually looking for "please", but I didn't specify language, so, sure!
Katie once told me that my "Very, very random" posts were her very, very favorite. So, for you Katie...I continue to exude randomness...
1 comment:
I love randomness, too, so keep them coming. Your boys are hilarious, as are you.
Post a Comment