Wednesday, July 03, 2013

We are coming home. Via Hong Kong.

I've kinda skipped over the last two days of sightseeing and our Consulate appointment, so I'll try to get those in while we are traveling. If our tiniest traveler permits it.

But I wanted to update you on our current location and status...

It is Wednesday evening. We traveled last night by van to Hong Kong. And honestly, I'm amazed I'm still here to talk about it.

The driving in most international countries is crazy, yes, but it usually doesn't get to me. But holy cow, last night I was certain that our van was going to crash into other moving vehicles multiple times! We were traveling with another family and I was in the very back. I found it better if I just leaned back and didn't look out the windows. In America, 3 feet is considered a little close. A good 3 inches is really all you need in China. That's even enough room for another car to squeeze by!

But we made. All in one piece. Even through the customs check point to enter Hong Kong where all the windows were rolled down and a government employee aimed a gun at all of us and started shooting... It took me a minute to figure out that he was just taking our temperature.

Seriously, folks...you should really warn a fella before you start shooting them with a thermometer!

We spent today exploring Hong Kong and took a shuttle, a ferry, a taxi and then a tram to Victoria's Peak, which is the highest mountain on the island. There are tons of shops and restaurants up there and the most amazing views of Hong Kong!

Hong Kong is unlike any place I have ever been. It's so big and busy and so many tall buildings...there are over 7 million people here, so you can imagine how crowded it is! Our hotel room at the Harbour Plaza Metropolis is even tiny (but nice!)...and coming from our suite at The Garden Hotel, it was quite a shock, but we can manage anything for 2 nights, right? And it is so clean. They take great pride in keeping the cities clean here, but I guess with this many people you have too!

Here are a few pictures of our morning adventures...

Our view from the ferry across to the main island.




Our view from the top...ridiculous.
















This was the tram up the side of the mountain. It kinda reminded me of being in Gatlinburg. There was even a Bubba Gump Shrimp at the top! Except you can't understand anyone and it feels like someone forgot to turn the heater off. Other than that...Gatlinburg via Hong Kong! On the way back down, I had to stand up because EK was taking a nap in the carrier and it was just easier that way....let's just say there are parts of that ride that are hard to stay up right on if you are standing!




This was the ferry we took. Well, not that exact one since we were actually passing it in the water, but you get the point.




We leave Hong Kong in the morning around 11:30am. Skip over to San Francisco (that's a 13 hour skip, in case you were wondering), hop to Chicago and then down to Louisville.

Hopefully all that happens by 9:56pm on Thursday, July 4th.

How can you pray for us?

1. EK has proven to be a pretty laid back traveler, but anyone will reach their limit, especially on a 13 hour flight. And y'all know how she is when she is hungry...she goes from fine to maniac baby in less that 3 seconds! Just pray that she will sleep most of the flight. And while she's not sleeping, that she will be laid back and travel well.

2. Patience for me and Kenny. It's tiring to do this just the two of us, but add in a tiny person and it just ups the anty! Patience with each other. Patience with EK. Patience with airlines...

3. No delays. While this almost never happens, no delays in getting my one baby home to see my other two babies would be fantastic!!

4. Oh, yeah...EK has been snotty the last few days. We are treating it, but the last thing you want is a baby with fluid on her ears on a plane. No fun.

OK, folks...if I don't get any more updates in before home, see you at the airport!!!!!!

Let the countdown begin...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: