And we'll start with the most important first...
- We received our LOA (remember the fondness for accronymms...that's Letter of Acceptance) on Friday!!! This is HUGE news! It's the coveted piece of paper that all Chinese adoptive parents wait for because it means you are traveling in 8-10 weeks. (I've also seen 2-3 months, but I prefer to measure in weeks. It much less daunting.) We received ours on day 40 of waiting. It can take up to 90 days or longer, but praise the LORD, He saw fit to bring us that approval in only 40 days! SIDE NOTE: I think I originally said we were waiting on our LOA from our LID, but later found out that you don't get to start counting days until PA. Which was a huge bummer for me. But doesn't matter now because now we have it! (I'm also wondering how many of you are trying to figure out what all those accronymms mean...)
| LOA!!!! |
| I've never been so happy to see a FedEx package at the door before!! |
- Charlie was with me when I got the call Friday morning about LOA because he had a doctor's appointment. I did get a single yell of excitement from him. But I decided to go interupt Sam's class after I dropped Charlie back off at school and I got a full-blown dance, screams and running up and down the hallway from him! Both equally excited we are one step closer to bringing our 'lil Ji home...but with very different ways of showing it!
- Speaking of 'lil Ji, we chose to leave Ji in her name as part of her Chinese heritage. So her name will be Elizabeth Kathryn Ji. Ji is actually her family name or last name, but after some research we discovered Ji means wisdom and has roots in Korea, which is neat since when we started this whole process, we started in South Korea. Plus, once Sam dubbed her 'lil Ji, it has just stuck! No way that couldn't be part of her name!
- Our signed LOA and supporting documents (a TON of paperwork) was placed in the capable hands of FedEx last night at 7:15pm. And when I checked this morning, had been delivered at 9:56am to the Birmingham Lifeline office. Now, our I-800 will be sent to USCIS for processing and I am working on getting Kenny and I travel visa's to get into China. There are several more big paperwork steps between now and us getting our travel approval. Just pray everything moves along smoothly and with no hitches! Note from the editor: As I was typing this, our social worker texted and said our 800 is going out today!! YAY! We should here back on that in about 3 weeks!
- I'm shooting for us to travel mid/late June. Please know that no one has officially told me that's what's going to happen. But in my bullet-point-style-need-to-have-a-plan-thinking, I've decided that's when it will be. Just add that to your prayer list. June would be perfect timing, allowing us to have the rest of the summer with EK and the boys to just chill while everyone gets to know each other.
- She now has a painted room complete with a crib!! There has never been a crib in this house since it has been Cook territory, so that makes me incredibly excited and a tad bit emotional all at the same time. My mom is working on several pieces...curtains, crib skirt, quilt...that will make it look very girly. Cause that also doesn't happen much around here! And I painted the room White Scallion (read as a pale, pale green). Sam swears it's just white, but it's really not. I also am in the process of refinishing a piece of furniture I found on the side of the road (yes, the side of the road). It was perfect changing table size. I couldn't pass it up. It's looking very shabby chic...
| This was really to show the color of the room. Dad was putting the crib together and having some technical difficulties... |
- I also found out we will be in Guangzhou for the majority of our trip to China, instead of being split between her city and Guangzhou. Because she is so close to Guangzhou (close being about 5 hours), they will bring her to us and we will have an opportunity to visit her city sometime later while we are in China. On one hand, this cuts down on our traveling and I'm sure being able to just set up camp in one place for the whole trip will be nice, but honestly, I wanted to see as much as China as I could. I'm a little sad our whole trip will be mainly spent in one city. But the Lord usually has a reason for all that He does, so I'm gonna just go with the flow and know that we will be in Guangzhou the whole time because that's part of His plan!
- This is not really an EK specific update, but since we are adding more hineys to the family, it's been a topic of conversation. We need to make a decision about what to do about our aging cars. Kenny's is still kicking along and we recently had some work done to it that should sustain it for a while. I am still driving Big Blue the Explorer. But Blue has a few faults. One, he only seats five. And yes, there will only be five in our family, but that's gonna seriously hamper the school carpooling situation which is a huge help to us and the friends we carpool with. And two, Blue needs a new transmission (among other things). Badly. So, do we put a new transmission in Blue so he runs smoother? (As smooth as a 9-year-old car with 140,000+ miles can run.) Or bite the bullet and let 'ol Blue go for something a little newer and bigger? (Yes, I'm thinking mini-van. But that's a whole other topic worthy of it's own post. Mainly because I never thought I would utter the words "want" and "mini-van" in the same sentence.) I'll tell you the issue. Blue is paid for. I despise having a car payment. Don't want one. Don't need one. I know it's just a car, but we need wisdom about the best thing to do.......and I don't think we know yet what that will be..... If you see anyone giving away mini-vans on the side of the road, just let me know!!
That's all I know. I realize (as my sweet husband pointed out) that if I posted more often, the post wouldn't have to be a mini-novel. Either way, you now know what I know.
Just keep praying all keeps moving along fast!
1 comment:
So very excited for you Kenny and Jana! I know the agony of all the hurry ups and waits. I am continuing to pray that your "lil Ji" will be here soon! Much love, Lynne
Post a Comment