Thursday, April 25, 2013

Care packages and visas.

When your child is half way around the world and you can't see them, touch them, talk to them...you'll go to great lengths to have some sort of contact.
 
Which is why on Tuesday we had a small package sent to EK.  It wasn't much, but I hope it's enough to provide her with some idea of what is soon to come.  We used a service in China that provides care packages for children in the orphanages.  Our contact, Helen, put together a package for us that included a blanket and a photo album with pictures I sent to her of our family.  I'm hoping they bring these items with her on Gotcha Day and the blanket will be something that feels familiar, smells familiar, when all else in her little life has been turned upside down.  And the faces in the pictures will soon be familiar as well.
 
We also got to ask several questions which I'm hoping will help us learn a little more about the newest member of our family.  And the best part...I should get a few pictures and a video of her as well!  I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm wearing out the phone checking my email for new pictures.  Even though Helen said it would be 3-5 days after sending for it to be delivered to the orphanage...and it was just sent Tuesday...
 
She sent me this picture below before she mailed it...



Yeah.  That's me on Kenny's shoulders.  At least she'll know we are fun!

We also got an email Tuesday that our visa applications had been delivered to the Chinese consulate in Chicago.  They will be picked up this coming Monday and then visas and passports overnighted back to us.  And at that point...I can technically travel to China...so I'm gonna need the rest of these folks dealing with our paperwork to step it up.

I got places to go, people!

No comments: