Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Life with boys.

I knew the moment we accepted a referral for two little boys that life would never ever be the same.  As each day goes by and the level of testosterone in our wee little house increases, I find myself laughing more, praying more and wondering what in the world I've gotten myself into.

As the sole female here, I struggle to maintain some sense of balance.  You know...balance between too many bodily functions that come with their own sounds and good manners.  Between too many cartoons and video games and reading a good book.  Between beating each other with lightsabers and teaching kindness.  Between an overwhelming love for sausage and trying new fruits and veggies.  Between Optimus Prime and Lightening McQueen and Jesus, Peter, Paul and Noah.

I know most of that doesn't really matter. And honestly, I've always wanted a house full of boys. I mean who doesn't appreciate an endless fart followed by a good belly laugh from your 5- year-old??

Funny thing is, I feel like it's taken us a while to get to this point.  After two and a half years, I'm actually excited to see Charlie tricking Sam out of his turn at a game.  Or to see Sam tackling Charlie to the ground because he can run faster than his big brother.  Scheming together.  Getting into trouble together.  Really acting like brothers.  Being boys.  Sweaty, dirty, manipulative, rambunctious boys.

In my quest to direct my little men to real manhood, I made Charlie cry.  While I want them to be kind, respectful and compassionate, I also refuse to raise weenies.  Therefore, you will not run away from an earthworm.  Charlie's my by-the-book-rule-maker-not-breaker-scared-to-do-anything-without-a-plan kid.  Yeah, after he ran away screaming from a tiny, wiggling worm, I made him come back and touch it.  He's one of those "I can't" kids, who unfortuantely has a "I can" kind of mommy.  That worm wasn't going to hurt him.  And while you may disagree with my strategy, he told me the other day he wasn't scared of worms anymore.  He can also do a flip on the trampoline now.  Because I told him he could, when he insisted he was going to break his neck. 



I don't worry as much about Sam.  He's the kid that will eat dirt because he dropped his candy and there is no way he's gonna throw it away just because it has a little muck on it.  But get a speck of grime on his shirt and he needs a full wardrobe change.  He touched the worm too, but screamed the whole time.  He is my I-don't-have-a-plan-deal-with-the-consequences-later-impulsive little guy.  But still a little bit of a weenie.  An impulsive weenie.  Still working on impulsively obeying.



I know Kenny and I have been entrusted with a great task.  To raise Godly men in the world we currently live in will not be an easy undertaking.  A man who values women.  A man who isn't afraid of his own shadow.  A man who takes care of his family.  A man who stands up for himself.  A man who is a good friend.  Makes me want to stop right now and pray some more...

In the meantime, we'll play in the dirt, each candy and drink Mt. Dew, beat the crap out of each other, play too many hours of video games and make smellly farts all while Mommy tries to teach manners, respect for others and a passionate love for our creator.

And maybe God will bless us and balance out the testosterone and estrogen in our household.  Or maybe if He has a sense of humor, I'll be outnumbered 4 to 1.

At that point, I may just give up and celebrate with a commemorative burp.

Excuse me.  In advance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The boys will go by what they see in you and Kenny. By what I see, you will have no problems in the boys respecting women, or becoming Godly men. I just pray that they find a woman like their dad did. Now, for the rest of their body functions I have nothing to say except, :). I have a can of air freshner with your name on it!

Lauren said...

Love this post!!! ...and I think for the bodily functions you need a thunder corner especially made for toots, smells and other boyish things! ;)