Sunday, January 08, 2012

I don't miss meals. Ever.

In a span of the last 9 months, I have had two separate occasions where someone else decided that our cars should crash into each other.

Back in April, someone came around a curve while I patiently waited with my blinker on to turn and barrelled right into me, never even slowing down.  Going about 55 mph.  Lovely.  After several weeks of not being able to open the tailgate of my Explorer, we got that fixed.

And then Friday, while minding my own business, it happened again. 

Except this time I was turning left onto a fairly busy, main road in Louisville and after patiently waiting for my green arrow, someone else ran their red light, plowing right into my drivers side door.

Here's where I'll tell you that I am terribly thankful for my big SUV, no matter how much it costs to fill it up, because this guy was driving a tiny little car and while it still caused quite a bit of damage, I'm fairly certain things would have been a little different if he had been a bigger car or truck.  The point of impact was squarely on my door, but because he was so low and I was so high, the bottom of my car took the brunt of the impact.

We had to have the Explorer towed and I earned a ride in an ambulance with the other cars passenger.  Her arm was broken, among other things.  And fortunately my hand was just bruised up and swollen pretty good and not actually broken like originally thought.

Now, I remained cool, calm and collected throughout this whole ordeal.  I answered questions from the EMT's and police officers.  I provided the needed documentation regarding insurance and registration.  I made the appropriate phone calls.  I was in total control.

Fast forward 30 minutes.  I had been strapped to a backboard and fitted with a neck brace.  All totally unnecessary, since my only problem was my hand/arm.  The EMT agreed with me, but they have their protocol.  As they rolled me into the ER, I just lost it.  I started crying and flipped out the EMT who assumed that something was actually wrong with me.

Wanna know why I lost it at that particular moment?  Other than been fastened to a terribly uncomfortable board and just needing to wiggle a little, those tears were all because I was hungry. 

Yep, hungry.  This whole ordeal made me miss lunch, and my friends, this girl just doesn't miss meals.  I was shaky, a little queasy and had now lost total control of my emotions.  All because I didn't get lunch.  The EMT rushed off to get me some graham crackers if I promised to stop crying.  I did manage to get myself under control and by the time Kenny and Nicole made it to the emergency room I was in much better shape and awaiting x-rays.

Now we wait to see if the insurance adjuster deems the car fixable.  And just deal with the whole mess of insurance claims, police reports, body shops and rental cars.  Which I can more than deal with, while being thankful that the Lord kept me totally safe and allowed the boys to be at school, instead of with me.

Now, don't worry.  When we left the ER, Kenny treated me to a Chick-fil-a kid's meal, per my request. 

It doesn't take much to please me, folks.  Just don't mess with my food.

And please stop running over my car.

2 comments:

Julio said...

I understand Jana. When I have to fast before my annual physical, it's a horrible 12 hours. We should get a couple of ALERT bracelets that say: "In case of emergency, take me to Chic-Fil-A."

The Cook Family said...

That sounds like a GREAT idea!!!!