Saturday, October 10, 2009

What now?

Well, we've been home for 6 weeks now. To say the least, life was turned upside down when we came home. But upside down in the best way possible! I don't think you can do anything, read anything, listen to anything to prepare you to be a parent. And especially to jump into parenthood at age 2 & 6! Just pray a lot...oh my, I pray all the time...


The boys are doing AWESOME! That's not to say we haven't had our ups and downs and our share of tears. Both of the boys have experienced some grieving, both boys have tested and pushed limits, but hopefully both boys are loving life! They seem happy, well-adjusted, bonding well and know exactly who mom & dad are (despite Sam's tendencies to call Nicole "mommy"...it's okay...why shouldn't he call her that? Grace & Emma do!). They are picking up English at an alarming rate...although Sam usually just repeats whatever you say to him like a little parrot (I especially love to tell him "I love you!"...he repeats it right back), and Charlie's big struggle is that he understands FAR MORE than he can verbalize. (Although, this past week, we have put together several sentences!) I'm no speech therapist, but I know that makes for a frustrated kid!

The boys took to "Charlie & Sam" great! We used their Ethiopian names for a while, but gradually made the transition. We were able to communicate enough with Charlie to determine that he was okay being called that and he has actually corrected us/himself if Nuredin is used. Sam could care less what you call him, as long as you pick him up and hug him! They still call each other Nuredin & Edaso, but have also used their new names when talking to each other.

We have kept Sam's age as 2. We feel that's pretty accurate. But after a bone scan (simply an x-ray of his wrist), we have bumped Charlie up to age 6. He doesn't know it yet, but I think he'll be okay with the change! He thinks he's 7...but really what's a year when you live to be 80?

We are homeschooling Charlie through kindergarten this year to give him a chance to catch up, learn phonics, learn English, etc and most importantly to be able to stay at home with me for a full year. He is already reading, writing, spelling but does a lot of things by sight and memorization. He is SO smart and picking up everything SO fast. He surprises me on a daily basis with new words or concepts that he has picked up on. This week we have been learning that we live in the state of Kentucky...he usually just looks at me, shakes his little finger and says, "Nooooo...America!" We'll keep working on that! He is a great big brother to Sam. He continues to be our shy one and can shut down on us and pouts with the best of them if he doesn't get his way, but learning that mom & dad's way is usually better! :)

Sam is by no means shy! He is our mischievous one. You can tell just by looking into his eyes! Everything he does is funny and to hear him laugh is contagious! Sam sings all day long and some of his favorites are "Jesus Loves Me" (although, it comes out 'Jegus'), "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star", "The Turtle Song" and the "ABC's". He loves to be held, but not necessarily cuddled. He will give out free kisses, but only on his terms! He is also a very smart little boy and I know one day he'll stop just repeating everything I say... :)

Kenny & I are completely and totally in love with these two little boys!

Stay tuned for current news with the Cook Family...we are certifiably crazy and you never know what we might do next! We justify that by following God's promptings and will for our lives...and you can't call God crazy! Just Mighty...

Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. The Lord works out everything for his own ends--...In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:3, 4a, 9

1 comment:

Pat said...

Jana - I work with your m-i-l and feel that I know you and boys so well because of this blog. I can't wait to read the updates to see how well the boys are doing. Thanks for the frequent updates.....or I might suffer withdrawals - love, love the blog!!