Sunday, February 10, 2013

The year of the snake?

Today is the Chinese New Year.  The year of the snake apparently.

Interesting fact. The CNY is not always on the same day each year. And it's not like our Thanksgiving, where its the fourth Thursday of November. There seems to be no pattern.

Kenny acted like he knew this already, so I almost pretended I did too. But I guess I'm not that smart.

I've been doing a little research on CNY. We celebrate Ethiopian Christmas with the boys, so since this is the big Chinese holiday, we'll incorporate it into our routine.  I mean, adding holidays??  Sounds like a win-win for all involved!

Here's my understanding of part of CNY...they give each other red envelopes with cash in even dollar amounts.  And the most common number is $8.  Just don't slip up and give them $9.  Cause you give odd dollar amounts for funerals. 

Talk about awkward...

Happy Chinese New Year!  Wish our EK was here to celebrate with us...hopefully next year!
 
 
 

No comments: