Saturday, December 22, 2012

Lo Mein and knee surgeries.

Ok, two things.

I'm about to share another fantastically fabulous recipe.  And you know if I'm sharing a recipe with you that it is something we will most definitely repeat again in the future!

And two...this past Thursday I had my 6th knee surgery.  Yes, sixth!  As in one, two, three, four, five, SIX!  I know, I've been keeping an eye out for my "buy 5, get the 6th free" card, but so far I haven't seen it.  This time around I tore my patellae cartilage while doing a cartwheel while we where in Lynch a couple of months ago. 

Yes, I agree.  I'm too old for cartwheels.  That was probably my last one.

All that to say, I'm still fairly doped up and I'm not always making a ton of sense.  You should see some of the text messages I've sent...like this one where I was talking to Kenny about getting ice for the fancy ice pack machine they had me hooked up to...it continued to go downhill from here...



So, don't hold me accountable for what I say in this post.  I'll proof it later to make sure it makes sense.

Ok, on to Lo Mien!

I know how to make a couple of Ethiopian dishes and in my efforts to increase my international cooking skills, I set out on a search for a good lo mien recipe.  I figured that would be a good easy first Chinese meal to try. 

I found a couple of good options and finally settled on one to try and let me just tell you...in my opinion, it was as good as PF Chang's!!  Now, I've never actually been to China, so I don't know how close this recipe is to authentic or if they even really eat lo mien in China, but it was sooo good!  And up until this experience, my Chinese had ended at stir fry veggies and soy sauce. 

But this recipe got that "Chinese take-out" taste just right!

 

 
Photo credit: me
 
 Now, my changes.  Because I don't follow directions. 

I actually doubled the recipe.  Mainly because when I started cooking, I realized I had enough chicken to double it, so I did.  And I'm glad I did because Charlie had 3 helpings!  And the leftovers were just as good as the first day!
  • I just used Kroger white cooking wine.  Mainly because I couldn't find dry white wine...I don't understand...does it come in powder form??  I don't usually buy cooking wine, so I was confused.
  • And instead of sesame oil (which was like $9 for half an ounce), I bought already toasted sesame seeds and just added them to regular 'ol veggie oil.  I added some to the whole mixture again later because I liked how they smelled!
  • I used powdered garlic...but I've been thinking lately I might give an actual garlic a chance again sometime.  Maybe.
  • I omitted the water chestnuts because I figured the boys (including Kenny) might balk at those, even though I really like them.
  • I also left out the frozen green peas.  I don't like green peas.  Yuck.
  • I did use the spaghetti noodles and they worked fine, but I thought I might check out Trader Joe's or some place comparable to see if I could find actual Chinese lo mien noodles.
Now I'm on the look out for a good fried rice recipe per Kenny's request, so if you have a good one, send it my way.

Until then, this will be our go to Chinese receipe! 

Now to see if I can make an egg roll...I'm not holding my breath...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I got my laugh at the "dry" white wine - it's all wet! I've printed off the recipe and will try - got to find a way to cut the sodium. Good luck on the egg roll!

The Cook Family said...

they make low sodium soy sauce!