Friday, August 17, 2012

The Something.

Around our house, the "something" is a word you'll hear way more than you would like.


Mainly because that's Sam's standard answer for almost anything.  Especially if he doesn't have a clue what you are talking about.





So, conversations go like this...

"Sam, what did you do at school today?"
"Ummm......something?"

Meaning, I know we did a certain task, but I just can't think of what they called it.

"Sam, did you finish your chores?"
"Something?"

Translation:  If I say yes, will you give me more chores to do?

"Sam, what should we pray about tonight?"
"Ummm.....something?"

I have no idea what you are talking about because I'm in Sam Land.  Which is where I am 99% of the time.



Or he can initiate the infamous "something".

"Ummm...Mommy?  Something?"
"What do you need, Sam?"
"Just something."

That particular one usually comes while I'm cooking dinner.  And translates to, "Hey, what are you making for dinner?"

My favorite scenario comes in the middle of an exchange with Sam. 

That's where you've been carrying on a fairly normal conversation that suddenly takes the "something" turn.  You can associate it to the very common "oooo, there's a squirrel!"....because you have officially demanded too much of his attention and time and he ran out of the ability to continue to focus on the words that are coming out of your mouth. 

Which usually is only about 3.



The "something" is always said in a slightly higher pitch than other words.  And as if it's a question.  Which makes complete sense, right??

Right. 

Something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is one smart boy. I think he has your number Jana.