Don't be jealous, but I'm certain we couldn't get Sam's pants pulled up any higher. Believe me, he tried. Right after he tugged on his socks for half an hour and made sure the knots on his shoes were super tight. And we cut off every possible string on any possible place a string could be.
And answered every possible question about what he was doing today and at what time.
And that was all before 7 AM.
I officially have a kindergartner and a 3rd grader.
| Wearing size 8 shirt, 7 shorts and 2.5 shoes--that's the shirt Charlie wore on his first day to FIRST grade. Yes, he's only 5. |
Sam's day started out a little stressful once I got him settled into his seat in his class and he took a look around and realized half the class was in hysterics. He looked up at me with those big brown eyes, that were only getting bigger, which is a sure sign that tears are coming and I quickly kissed him on the head and high tailed it out of there before he decided to join in on the crying fest.
Which would have only made me cry too.
I checked in on him at lunch time when I was assigned to help with kindergarten lunch. Which requires a shower afterwards, between opening all the Capri Suns and applesauces and the splashing that is required while eating your Go-gurt.
He seemed fine, but was a little dazed and confused. I think it's going to take him a few days to adjust to the structure of a classroom. And getting up 2 hours earlier than he is used to.
He told me when I picked him up that he fell asleep at rest time. He NEVER sleeps anywhere but his bed, so that was a huge surprise, but he seemed refreshed and much more coherent than before lunch.
Sam likes his teacher, Mrs. Underwood, thought it was hilarious that his Spanish teacher spoke in Spanish (go figure!), got to have a rice krispie treat for snack and got a tow-can from his teacher. What he meant to say was toucan...as in "YOU CAN do all things through Christ!" which is their motto for the year. So thankful they are at a school where they can do all things through CHRIST!
But my favorite "first day of school" moment was the look on Sam's teacher's face when I explained that he still uses his Ethiopian potty words to tell you he's gotta go. Yes, shint means peepee. Despite what it may sound like he's saying.
And she looked at me like I had lost my mind.
I love throwing people off like that.
| Wearing size 14-16 shirt, 12 shorts and 7.5 shoes. Men's shoes. Yeah. Men's. |
Charlie took off to his class, obviously needing no help from Mommy. After all, this is the 3rd year he's done this. Old pro.
After a ride home that consisted of extreme silliness from four kids that had been couped up in school all day, he told me as we pulled into the driveway, "Mommy, I really like Mrs. Collins."
And in Charlie speak, that's about as close as you are gonna get to a huge hug and declaration of his undying love.
He got to move his desk to sit by Matthew, reprimanded me for forgetting his water bottle and already knows his Bible verse and spelling words for his test on Friday. This kid ain't foolin' around.
And just a side note, not at all bragging (ok, so maybe just a little), Charlie was invited to be in his school's gifted program this year. Let's review the facts...first 6 years of his life in Ethiopia, 3 years home, 3 different languages, skipped kindergarten and still at the top of his class.
Genius in the making. Yet he can't remember to put on underwear unless I hand them to him at the appropriate time.
We respectfully declined the invitation, deciding that 3rd grade was not the time to tack on extra work. He is doing well at the pace they've set and he just needs to focus on being a kid right now.
We'll focus on being the smart kid later.
When scholarships need to be awarded. Have to have our priorities straight.
I think we are on our way to a good year. No tears were shed, everyone decided they would go back tomorrow and lunches are already packed, so we have to go somewhere...
No comments:
Post a Comment